View post (George Benson)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
10/08/2003 6:41 pm
Originally posted by chris mood
Jim Hall. I remember having a group discussion in grad school w/a professor over wether Jim Hall would achieve the same success as a jazz guitarist if he had to do it all over again w/todays standards. Sad , but true the consensus was no, that his lack of chops would not get him through the door in most places.

I've had many discussions about the same thing. Don't know whether this was part of the equation that led to that conclusion. But would he have been a success if he was part of a this generation instead of a past one?? Would he have been able to learn the skill that is the standard today?? He surely made well in his time and sometimes success is whether you can master the standard set presently. I know if you pull people from the past and ask whether they would be a success now it's usually no. Because as we grown through life, we are influences by the standards we live in, maybe Jim Hall could have lived up to the standards of today. Don't disagree or agree, just food for thought.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.