Delay vs. Reverb

BeerKing
BeerKing
09/12/2003 3:09 pm
Hi,

My mate and me got a problem...
Were just having an argument what kind of effect would be better for soloing a Delay or Reverb while using Distorion in a punk rock ( poppy ) style. Especially for the The kids aren't alright solo by the Offspring.

Thx.
# 1
TheDirt
TheDirt
09/12/2003 4:23 pm
Probably reverb. Delay makes an echo as in a singular sound wave bouncing off of a wall, reverb is a more subtle echo, like the sound bouncing off of walls of a room, sounding fuller. Personally, I use a delay of about 200 milliseconds that's not a full echo, one that tapers off, as well as reverb. It kind of simulates what it would sound like playing in an auditorium.

The Kids Aren't Alright (it's been a while since I've heard it, but from what I remember) does not have much (if any) delay throughout the solo, and not too much reverb either. There's slight reverb with a very saturated distortion.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 2
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
09/14/2003 4:58 am
I believe reverb produces a much more authentic tone for soloing.
I also use both, I mix in a hint of delay to take off the stacatto attack of fast runs.
# 3
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
09/22/2003 7:39 pm
For soloing I usualy use both reverb and a little (in volume) delay , but if I have to choose only one I think it's gonna be the Delay !
# 4
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
09/24/2003 1:13 am
Both extremely valuable tools, really depends on the situation. I don't think you'll find a lot of delay solos without reverb...Delay is a cool tool if used properly...
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 5
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
09/24/2003 11:44 am
Originally posted by SLY
but if I have to choose only one I think it's gonna be the Delay !

Oops , I meant reverb . :)
# 6
nickfever
nickfever
02/24/2023 6:34 pm

Delay for a more bouncy effect.

delay calculator to time reverb or delay to your track.:
https://nickfever.com/music/delay-calculator

It's actually on page 88 of the TC Helicon VOICELIVE 3 manual:
https://mediadl.musictribe.com/download/software/tchelicon/tc-helicon_voicelive_3_reference_manual_english.pdf

It gives MS and recently added Hz for those who use LFOs.

"Smash," was my favorite!

I hope it helps.

Nick

# 7
frankmaghler
frankmaghler
06/09/2023 11:47 am

When it comes to soloing in a punk rock style with distortion, both delay and reverb can be used to enhance your guitar sound and create different effects. In the case of The Offspring's "The Kids Aren't Alright" solo, the choice ultimately depends on the specific sound you're aiming for and your personal preference.

Using delay in punk rock solos can add a sense of space and depth to your guitar tone. It creates echoes that give your notes a fuller and more atmospheric quality. A short to moderate delay with a few repeats can help to separate the notes and add definition, which can be particularly effective for fast-paced solos in punk rock. Adjusting the delay time, feedback, and mix controls can help you find the right balance to suit your taste and the song's overall vibe.

On the other hand, reverb can also contribute to the overall sound of a punk rock solo. Reverb creates a sense of ambience by simulating the natural reflections of sound in a room or space. While reverb is commonly associated with sustaining notes, in a punk rock context, you may want to use a shorter reverb with minimal decay. This can add a touch of liveliness and depth to your sound without overwhelming the aggressive nature of the genre. Experimenting with different reverb types (e.g., plate, room, spring) and adjusting the decay time can help you achieve the desired effect.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.