View post (David Gilmour - top 5 guitarist?)

View thread

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
09/07/2003 4:44 am
I never denied the fact that Dave Gilmour was a great guitarist; His sound defined Pink Floyd, as much as Roger Waters' lyrics did.

Dave is a great phraser- this is why I would love to hear him play some smooth jazz on a hollowbody guitar, or something different. I always feel shortchanged when I download live Pink Floyd shows, and the solos are almost exactly the same, each show. Hendrix improvised, Garcia improvised, I believe that if Gilmour is to be in the same class as these two, he should have the improvisation ability of Garcia or Hendrix. If he simply improvised alot more, he would have continued to improve, his solos would have gotten better, longer, etc, and he himself would have gotten better. There was no point in following a whole Pink Floyd tour; everything was pretty much the same. There was reason to see Hendrix or the dead on a full tour, because you didn't know what was going to happen; the musicians got better on-stage as well, not just off-stage. I happen to be a huge improviser, and Pink Floyd isn't that difficult to improvise to.

As far as studio albums? Pink Floyd has some of the best studio albums ever created in the history of mankind.

~Incidents