Tuned to C

JoeyLibby
JoeyLibby
12/16/2000 6:28 pm
Ive noticed a few bands playing dropped to D, then tuned a half-step down to C.

I was wondering if i can just move the same chords i play when i play in Drop D down the neck a fret and get the same chord as if i was tuned into C.
One The only way is one
I feel angry I feel helpless Want to change the world
# 1
JoeyLibby
JoeyLibby
12/18/2000 3:34 am
come on........

someone must know...
One The only way is one
# 2
John O'Carroll
John O'Carroll
12/18/2000 2:11 pm
I'm assuming you mean that you retune ALL the strings from the standard "E", drop down to "D" and drop even further to "C". So, if you drop to "C" tuning you have gone down 2 whole steps (4 half steps) which would be the same # of frets you would move. For example, standard tuning basic E chord becomes a D chord in D tuning becomes a C chord in C tuning relative to pitch. Again, basic tuning A barre chord at fifth fret becomes G in drop D becomes F in drop C. So, to play A barre chord in drop C tuning, you would move UP four frets to what would in normal tuning be a C# barre chord. So, you move UP the same number of half-steps you tune down. I hope I haven't confused you as much as I've confused myself.
# 3
JoeyLibby
JoeyLibby
12/18/2000 3:41 pm
hmmm... i think that might help, now i just gotta go try it =)

thanks!
One The only way is one
# 4
MTMSOLO
MTMSOLO
05/04/2006 5:12 pm
my band plays that. the top string droped to c# the rest droped a half step. its magical, and yes you can just drop the scales down like that. in soloing i mostly leave the top c# string out and compensate on the bottom d# string.{ i dont like the position shift from the top droped c#}
# 5
acapella
acapella
05/04/2006 7:44 pm
Originally Posted by: JoeyLibbyIve noticed a few bands playing dropped to D, then tuned a half-step down to C.

I was wondering if i can just move the same chords i play when i play in Drop D down the neck a fret and get the same chord as if i was tuned into C.

If you tune down one step, every note you would play in standard tuning will be played two frets higher than usual. Each fret is one half step. For example, if you tune down one half step, the A note on the E string goes from being played on the fifth fret to being played on the sixth fret. The fifth fret would now be an Ab note. If you another half step down, this would be considered one whole step down from standard. Now, the A note is played on the seventh fret, and the fifth fret is a G note.
Also, D to C is one whole step, not a half step. D-Db=1/2,Db-C=1/2. 1/2 + 1/2 = 1.
And if you are confused about the Ab or Db, b=flat.
Hope this doesn't confues you more. :)
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 6
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
05/07/2006 11:35 pm
On an electric guitar, if you alter the tuning from the Norm, the string length adjustment ( Intonation ) must be re set up for the new tuning - best done with an electronic tuner...
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.