What's your favorite style and why?

Bobby Hogan
Bobby Hogan
12/16/2000 1:16 am
What makes a particular style fit you and why so. For me I like blues with a little nasty jazz. It's the passion for me.......it's all about how it makes me feel.
Sylince
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/16/2000 7:28 pm
my favorite type of music would have to be the blues, I think because that's where I started out. Usually when I play now though it ends up funky, or just more of a heavy rock sort of thing (you can download some of my band's stuff if you want from my web page). Actually, alot of what I play now usually sounds like a bit of primus mixed w/ other stuff... kinda hard to put a finger on it.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
loner92
loner92
12/16/2000 7:49 pm
Metal. The speed, intensity, attitude and power are why I like it. By metal, I mean stuff like old Metallica, Megadeth (minus Risk, I lean towards the early stuff (Killing is my Buisness- Countdown to Extinction) and their newest stuff), Tourniquet, Deliverance, Iced Earth, Sabbath, Corrosion of Conformity, etc.). Corn, Papa Roach, Kid Crock, Limp Bisquick, Linkin Park, and other "nu-metal" bands suck.

# 3
Rat520
Rat520
12/17/2000 12:51 am
i like alot of styles, Jazz, fusion, Ska, Punk, Rock, Blues and funk.
"You know, we do more than just sing and dance. We've got a brain, too."
Backstreet Boys
# 4
Bofatron
Bofatron
12/18/2000 10:28 pm
avant garde rock and experimental stuff.

buckethead
vernon reid
gabrels
etc.
# 5
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
12/20/2000 10:07 pm
My favorite is rock blues...
i think that this is what led zeppelin is called anyway, to make things short just listen to "since i've been loving you" and you will understand why i like it...
the guitar in this songs touches you through your whole brain and it makes me really dizzy... i dunno why but when i'm depressed this is the only song that makes me better :)
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 6
Daan
Daan
12/28/2000 12:57 am
I like:

Rock 'n Roll (like creedence clearwater revival)
classic rock (late 60's, 70's rock)
surf
britpop (supergrass, manic street preachers...)
some metal (old metallica, gothic, experimental)
rock of the 90's
funk (theme from magnum P.I. :) )
and a lot more...

if there is one style I realy hate, would be techno! And I cant escape it, I live in Belgium...
When I say to people how much techno sucks, they say: welcome to the year 2000, man! You have to be openminded for new styles, man! Like every new style is good! But if there is someone who is openminded, it would be me and not them. I probably like more styles than them... THEY 'RE not openminded, techno just closes your mind.

I like surf alot becouse the guitar replaces the singer...
And it has a cool sound too.
Hey! Its rock 'n roll! I dont have to explain why its good! :cool:
Aldo I like surf and rock 'n roll, I dont go out of my mind when I hear Swing, reggea, rockabilly or ska...
But they could be a great influence for me. And they probably will someday...
I dont realy have hero's like Vai, Metheny or Hendrix...
I like them, they 're good, but they 're no influence for me...
# 7
puddlemaker
puddlemaker
12/29/2000 4:59 am
first i must say that music is music and its all good, from george jones, to pantera, to weather report but i think the cleaner the sound, the more less room for error. thats why i have to say that country and rockabilly are what moves my toes and fingers the most.
# 8
Robbie10000
Robbie10000
01/01/2001 5:50 am
well umm fav kinda musics gotta be rock or metal....
its the fast riffs that kick ass!
# 9
Elmo45
Elmo45
01/02/2001 7:27 am
....but there's nothing like kicking in some Jazz and Rock too!
# 10
Joseph
Joseph
01/05/2001 10:54 pm
Well, I really don't like to settle on one particular style during those impulsive practice sessions, I just like to rely on my ear and whatever fits the arrangment that I'm working on, I would have to go as far in saying that a good ear is a musicians most valuable asset. Once you can take yourself to that certain point where everything stands still and nothing matters, a point where you can transfer the music you hea in your head through your fingers, you've got it made. A point of self discovery based on your unwillingness to compromise to what is considered acceptable. [b] But I must say, whenever it comes time to solo, I rely on a rather bluesy feel, I guess its just what sounds good to me, and that particular style ties together nicely with just about whatever I'm working on, it sounds real.

I guess overall, I'm inspired by alot of the bands from the late sixties through early seventies, Led Zeppelin, Credence Clearwater, The Beatles, around this time the bands were given more freedom to be themselves and get across their ingenuous message. Also it had alot to do with the fact that they knew more about rock music than the hot shot producers around that time, but now it seems ;like its just a big guessing game as to who can score the next big act. It has really made a mockery out of everything that used to be respectable in the rock industry, its more than obvious that the top rock bands of today have impure intentions based primarily on money...Not to say that there arent any good acts out today, but its getting much easier to differentiate rockstars from musicians...

-Joseph :)

www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.