View post (Recording Vocals)

View thread

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/28/2003 12:01 am
I have one (non USB Vocal 300), they are OK but don’t sound as good as the Behringer (when used as a preamp, this thing is for effects remember). They also can’t supply phantom power which is not a biggy if you are using dynamic mics but means you have to buy an extra phantom power supply if you want to use it with a condenser. Not good!

I record vocals dry (well maybe using compression but nothing else) and add reverb /effects in the mix later for obvious reasons. The Vocal 300 has a line level input so you can use it as an out board effects unit or as an insert effect however, if you are using a computer there are probably plug-ins which will be easier to use.

For the money, Id go with a Behringer VMP, good bang for your buck and has a de esser and a compressor built in. With the Behringer you can always upgrade and Im sure you can find one on eBay got about 60 USD. The worst thing about the VMP is that it doesn’t have a digital out however, if this is something you want to play with there are other preamps that do.

Before even thinking about this (digital inputs/out puts) you may want to consider things like: how good are your sound cards A/D converters and can you use kit with S/PDIF out or USB out? Sub-standard A-D converters (in a sound card) can be a nuisance but can also be bypassed by piping digital signal directly into your computer using outboard A-D converters in say a pre amp.

Finding the rate limiting step in your own recording set up is a job only you can do as there are many variables. You may suit one type of mic better than another. I sound dreadful down an SM58 and 10 times better down an SM57, other people are the other way round. Some people swear by tube pres others like solid state...you say tomatoe, I say tomarto..... etc etc.

The best thing to do is get to know the kit the kit you have as well as you can and from there work out what you like and what you don’t like (in terms of interface and sound). You can then work out the rate limiting steps and upgrade / work a round as you discover more about the recording process. Start cheap and work up!

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS