View post (Packaging)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
08/25/2003 3:36 pm
Honestly, it depends on your budget and demand. Since this is your first solo cd, I would first look at getting a good quality recording and getting it mastered before anything. If you have monye left over that's great. You want people to hear and judge by the quality of the music first. Do it yourself and see how they sell, if your not a commercial artist most people aint gonna care if your cd is packaged like a professional. Use a home burner, photopaper and printer, and a jewel case or sleeve. Make promo packs for clubs and venues. Yeah it's cheap but it's worse when you get a package deal of 500 and only sell a 100 or so. You said yourself, if you think 10 a show is all you'll sell. Unless your playing 50 gigs in the near future it's a bad call. You'll save alot of money trust me, and saving money means you can cut another cd later or if it becomes a hit, send the master to one of these companies and getting it professional packaged. There's no shame in waiting. What I am saying is wait for the reaction of people that hear the cd before you look into having it packaged. If it sells good at your first couple of gigs, have it packaged. And those people who didn't buy a cd the first time when it wasn't packaged because they got a stick up their bumm (just kidding) will see it again and buy the packaged one.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.