View post (When they say..."the key of" phase)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
08/20/2003 4:38 pm
Originally posted by Azrael
you dont wanna end up as one of those theory-gurus, waving the cepter of knowlege at the artist, divinely signifying that he has done somehting theoretically wrong, even if it sounded brilliant.

Oh, You talking about me now? HAHA. ;) I understand what andy is saying though, it doesn't help when you ask somebody something and they tell you just to figure it out yourself. But the point that everyone is saying to you andy is the most important thing about music, you have to use your ear. To become a good musician you have to have a good ear above everything else. Think of theory as your trick bag, like if you need to figure out how to do something say suspension chords. Theory will help, but you do want to write music with your ear not theory. Too much theory and you still write good music but you lose that creativeness that makes the music you write your music. You'll probably break a few rules of music theory, but that's ok if thats what you want. Just listen to Radiohead, I think they break a rule in every song (haha) but they still write awesome music.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.