View post (How do I expand on different inversions and voicings?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/11/2024 5:03 pm

I also thought of this tutorial that covers this topic in a more general conceptual manner.  When you mentioned this:

"Any tips on how to understand better on extended harmony inversions, shell voicings, spread voicings, and any other I don't know of? "

This tutorial covers how to visualize any and all possible chromatic intervals in any given area of the fretboard.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/462/

Now this is really broad, but it will show you how to visualize all the possible scale & chord tones as they relate to any given shape you might play.

So once you know how to see the 1-3-5 chord tones of any given major or minor chord in their various shapes, then you start to visualize all the diatonic scale degrees around that shape in order to add color tones. In one of those lessons I show specifically how to use these patterns to play certain jazz chord voicings.

This might be too advanced for where you are now.  But this is ultimately what you are aiming for:  see the basic chord tones in the shapes you play & see the scale degrees that surround those shapes to know where & how to add other chord tones to get a variety of voicings when you want them.

Again, hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory