View post (Best "first" Amp?)

View thread

ScubaCPA
Full Access
ScubaCPA
Full Access
08/17/2023 7:03 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: martiniconqueso

After two years of (mostly) regular practice, I've reached the point in my gradual improvement where I am starting to get more interested in tone.

I started out with a low-end Gretsch hollow body and a mini Blackstar 'FLY3' amp - it's plenty for my practice area in the basement but not really much on offer in terms of settings, etc.

So what is a good first 'real' amp? I'm more into rock/punk/country than anything else, and in addition to the Gretsch I've since started playing a Telecaster quite a bit. I play to improve and to entertain myself, so I am not looking for something gig-worthy by any means - but I do want the ability to get more options (honk! twang!) out of the Tele than I can with the mini amp.

=K

Fender GTX100 modeling amp.  Many built in amps and effects to build your own tones (in addition to many already built tones that come preloaded and 1,000’s more available for download).  Includes a footswitch so you can turn the built in effects on and off while playing.  Allows you can get an into into pedal effects for a very reasonable price. I usually start with a downloaded tone and then tweak it to my liking and how it sounds using my particular guitars.  

Gary

[Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (2), Fender Player Stratocaster (2), Fender Player Telecaster (2), Squire CV 60's Stratocaster, Hamer Ecotone, Yamaha APX600 (2), Epiphone ES-339, GTX-100 (2), Spark 40 (2), Spark Mini.]