View post (Encyclopedia of Awesome Tones)

View thread

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/06/2003 5:08 pm
haha-
I can get a guitar luthier to make an exact copy of the Santana model for $5,000, if i wanted. But I would make changes; For example- No tremelo, no '2 mini-switches', I'd have a simple 3 way. The headstock would be Gibson, the fingerboard would be ebony. Inlays? I haven't decided if i even want them. I'd probably add a 3rd humbucker in the Middle (hell, why not?).
In the meantime, I think i'm going to replace my 490 & 498T humbuckers, they are far too weak for my tastes.
I'm the kind of person that wants to get all of my tones from one guitar, and not be switching, ever. It is just one of my pet peeves, when a guitarist has to change guitars to get different tones. I think it is much more impressive when a guitarist can get every tone imaginable on one guitar. Even more impressive if he can do it with not so many effects, or modifications. That's what I call soul:D!

I'd buy a Kramer (i'd get the cheapest model, $69, and learn to remodel it), but I already have my very old axe (Squier Strat), and I plan on rewiring that Indonesian piece of **** sometime when I have alot of cash.

One thing that Santana turned me onto, was the idea of simultaneous amplification. He powers a Fender Twin, Mesa/Boogie, and a Marshall 100 Watt Head + 4x12 Cab, which is why you can hear three tones blending together, all the time. I thought this was an interesting concept; I've done it before with my '65 Deluxe Reverb + Line 6 Flextone 3, and it sounded pretty good.

~Incidents