View post (Changing Cords Faster)

View thread

LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/18/2023 3:29 pm

Hi gstacho28,

I am guessing you were following Anders' terrific Fundamentals Course. 

I do not personally know to what degree he addresses specific strategies for changing from one chord to another, but in my Fundamentals Course (which pre-dates his, and we have slightly different teaching styles) there are a bunch of lessons on very specific strategies for changing from one chord to another, broken down into such chunks as : "Changing between G and C", "Changing between Am and D", etc. 

You might have a look - or Anders may have covered similar information that I am not aware of. 

As a player, and a teacher, I highly recommend practicing all of the chord changes you are coming up against, in simple pairs. Back and forth back and forth, over and over, observing your finger movements and noticing if they are developing a good confident flow when going from Chord#1 to Chord#2. 

And if the flow is still glitchy, experimenting with ways you might approach the chord-pair a little bit differently - until you land a plan that works well for you. 

As you do this, your hand begins to memorize SEQUENCES of motion. Not just one chord at a time, but it begins to physically memorize the "choreography" involved in commonly encountered chord changes. 

Hope this helps a little!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!