View post (Changing Cords Faster)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/05/2023 12:02 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: gstacho28

I am about 6 months in, and just finished GF 1.  I still cant change cords fast enough when playing songs. I have a few songs I am working on that are basic. Wish you were Here, Ripple, Knocking on Heavens door. How much time each day should I put into just cord changes? Normal practice about 30-45 min a day. I have been practicing about 5-6 days a week.  Also, should I hold on GF 2 until I master basic cord changes fast enough to play these songs? thanks

It sounds like you need to spend practice time solely focusing on chord changes. Until you can do them effectively & efficiently you won't be able to play them in time & thus play a song.

During part of each practice session, don't try to strum in time, don't try to play a song. Just focus on getting your chord changes solid. Do focused practice on chord changes. Take any 2 chords.

Form & play a C major. Strum it once to make sure it sounds good.

Form & play a G major chord. Strum it once to make sure it sounds good.

Repeat.

Incorporate all the other open chords into this routine as you are able. Just focus on getting the chord changes right until they are automated, as if they are second nature. If you try to mix in strumming, learning a song, and other things before you can do the basic physical motions of chord changes you are just going to get frustrated.

Be patient with yourself!

You can certainly move forward in any course to see what's next, to stay motivated!  But you should not consider yourself done with any given lesson until you completely understand the idea & can play the skill being taught.  

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory