View post (Getting into recordin` gimme ur thoughts)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
08/01/2003 1:12 pm
[u]Studio-monitors vs. Stereo Speakers[/u]

There is no comparison. Studio monitors are way better when your going through the mixing phrase. Studio monitors are perfectly produced for this phrase, Stereo speakers are meant for listening to a final product. If you don't have the money for monitors (cause boy they are expensive) you can use stereo speakers for the mix, but if you can use both that's even better. Mix down til you get a sound you are happy with, then try it on stereo speakers. If both turn out to be satisfactory, that's your mix. If not your should be able to see the problem and then fix it. As for headphones (not even 1000 dollar headphones), never use them to mix with. Notice I said mix with, because they do come in handy. They're great for finding very subtle noises that shouldn't be in the mix. Maybe a noise gate didn't cut out a little fuzz or maybe a punch-in is a little off. Stuff like that. Headphones are like your magnifying glass, since putting your ear up to monitors or speakers is quite awkward. The problem with headphones in your not hearing the mix in an acoustic environment (which changes the rules of EQ, etc.). As for acoustic environments it good to have studio monitors in a sound room. Stereo speakers if possible in a ordinary room, like a bedroom or living room. That way you know exactly how an average listener is going to hear it. Car stereo's I wouldn't recommend because their frequency response is shortened.

As for software, everything is mentioned although you can download some free stuff that is actually really good. Free demo of newer software so you can try it out first, before buying. here’s the website: http://www.hitsquad.com, also CNET downloads. As for soundcards, M Audio is great and cheap.

[Edited by noticingthemistake on 08-01-2003 at 08:15 AM]
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.