View post (New Amp time..)

View thread

LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
12/04/2000 4:11 am
Well, two amps come to mind that seem like they would fit the bill. One is the fender Hot Rod Deville. It's a tube amp, but as the fenders go it is probably the best for tube distortion sounds, if you want to play metal you'd probably need to push it a bit further with a stomp box, but its well suited for rock and blues on its own, and since its fender it probably has a nice clean tone too. I think they are in the 550-650 dollar range, i'm really not sure.
The amp I use is the Line6 flextone. It's a digital modeling amp, so it has a lot more in terms of flexibility of sounds, and it has a lot of built in effects (flange, chorus, leslie, delay, swell, and some others.) Some say the tone isn't as nice as real tubes, but it really depends on your ears, because many also think that the flextone does a good job of imitating tubes, and that it's worth it for the increased versatility. Try them both, the flextone is probably around 650 (I got mine half off, 300, but that was lucky, blowout sale at guitar center.) See what you like.