View post (playing it all wrong for 6 years)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
06/13/2003 5:38 pm
Originally posted by chris mood
To rebuttle the ist response who brought in physics while defending the finger technique, this person did not take into account that the fore arm muscle is about 3000x the size of the finger muscle. If the fore arm technique is performed right, you will never have to worry about fatigue.

A good point made chris, but I've never grown tired of picking from the wrist over anything else. Even though your muscles are bigger, endurance is the key. So if you've been playing for years with one style your going to have alot more endurance doing it that way, than another way.

I, myself, use all 3 techniques for different purposes. I think you should know how to utilize all 3, I mean why not??? That's like saying I'll learn how to play guitar but I'll never learn chords, or something. But anyways, I use the finger method for single note passages. Like aiwass said you get alot better accuracy, which is what you need when your playing single notes. You don't want to bump another string accidently. Now the wrist method, I use for strumming chord rhythm and stuff along that line. I use the elbow for a strong strum, and alot of the time I use this in combination with the wrist method. Strum the accented beats with the elbow and the wrist for the normal strum. Works out nicely. Of course, you should go along with what is comfortable. But by learning all three you can be alot more versatile in your playing. Picking from the elbow is good for tremolo picking too.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.