View post (A cool gig for the band...)

View thread

stratgod
stratgod
06/14/2003 10:58 am
I'll thank you for the support and in the end the gig went fine apart from a few good and bad points. Let us start of with the good points:
1)Apart from a minor mistake and our Beatles I feel Fine going on a bit extra the gig went well and I played pretty good.
2)The crowd took to us and overall, they liked us and got up and boogied.

Now the bad points:
1)Upon arrival we were expecting a pretty small 200 people hall. Instead we got a 1000+ converted cattle warehouse the size of three football pitches, needing a 5000W PA.
2)The drums couldn't be heard so we had to mic them up using a ShureSM58, Samson S12 and Peavey SM58 but the best parts are still to come.
3)The band arrived an hour after me and my dad, the drummer arrived.
4)During the ten minutes we had for a sound check before the DJ got too pissed off my Fender valve amp died. Upon much messing about we established the power amp stage had gone but luckily, and i stress luckily, we output into the pa from my amp. I'm sure there will be a nice repair bill for me.
5)This was a freebie and the organiser said we would be getting a few contacts out of this. The only contact we got was me hitting my head against the wall:)

After all of that and our bass players missus getting pissed off because she didn't know it was a freebie therefore she decided to take a ****-load of trips to the bar, I quite enjoyed myself at the same time being quite annoyed. Ho-hum!
Maybe there's a small lesson to be learned from this, don't bang your head against a wall, get someone else to hit that damn f*****g amp over your head in the hope that it will come back to life:)
We can but hope for better, more organised gigs in the future.
"When I was a kid,all I wanted was a red electric guitar.It had to be red,because of Hank and his magical sound." Mark Knopfler on Hank Marvin.