View post (time signatures)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
06/11/2003 4:14 pm
Originally posted by chris mood
Somebody listen to Michael Breckers "Tale of Two Rhythms" off of Escher Sketch and tell me what the time signature is.

Is this another quiz?? haha. If not, and your really trying to figure it out. If it has a drum track, listen for the first 2 beats. Usually bass then snare, start it off as counting the bass as one, then the snare as 2. Before moving on, see if there is a hi-hat or ride cymbal. If so count how many hits they get between the first 2 beats (bass, snare). If there were none in between those two beats, and they were hit at the same time the bass and snare were; the bottom number is 4. If there was one in between the bass and snare, the number would be 8. If there were 4 hits between them, the number would be 16. You can probably see where this is going. Now countinue counting until a measure is up. What number did you land on, that will be your top number. If you were in between numbers, you know you'll have a time signature like 7/8 or something like that. But let's say it ends half way between 4 and 5, the time signature is probably 9/8 (following the bottom number rule above). That's one way of possibably figuring it out. The fail safe approach is to understand the feel of the music. I don't have the song or I would tell you. Maybe someone else does, but I hope that made sense.

Az -

Ok. I thought you meant stretching a 3/4 into a 4/4 time signature by using polyrhythmics. Which is very possible by transposing the rhtyhm into 3:2 triplet in halfnotes. I think you understand what I'm trying to say. I really wish you could illustarte written music on here. Now how you were going to use the same method with 5/4 to 7/8, is a very interesting topic. I'm guessing it would work out as something like this.

Change the 5/4 to 10/8. Then place the 10/8 over the 7/8, and you can squeeze the 10/8 into the 7/8 by using a polyrhytmic of 10:7, then just figure out the rhythm accordingly. Now that would be interesting to hear. :) haha.

I dunno I think that is how it's done. Might be cool if you would add that into your polyrhtyhmic section on your tricks, Az. It's a compelling idea.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.