View post (Our band's recording dilemma)

View thread

TheDirt
TheDirt
06/04/2003 2:57 pm
Assuming the song doesn't change tempos (it can change style, from slow to fast without changing BPM), you can record a track equal to the length of the song with just a metronome. Now, figure out the number of measures that the drums play, and have your drummer play along with the metronome. He won't get off tempo when he's not playing because the metronome will be steady clicking to keep time.

Once you have the drums laid out the bass usually comes next, then rhythm guitar, or vice versa depending on which musician is tighter. Finally add the lead guitar on top of that. That's how me and my brother would record when I went up to his house last summer, and it worked quite well.

One thing you might note - It might be best to keep a simple, easy beat on the drums when recording them at first and then once all the other tracks have been laid down, the drummer can come back and play something more complicated over the whole thing, recording on a seperate track. This allows for him to take some chances and do some fills in relation to what the guitar and bass are playing without worrying about screwing up the song. If he messes up he can start over, no problem. Once you get the final product of the drums, you can delete the original, simple drum part.

Hope this helps, and good luck ;)
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster