View post (Shredding's all very fine but...)

View thread

u10ajf
u10ajf
05/14/2003 1:09 am
A guitarist's ability to regulate the dynamics of what they play at speed do limit the possible musicality of shredding. More multi-part, fingerstyle approaches present a real challenge to someone used to shredding patterns because they have to hold down several notes at once and so must find the optimum hand positioning to do so. Shredders, who generally have no fingernails so that they can tap, can make good some of this disadvantage because tapping can simplify headaches that come from positional/hand logistic problems. In terms of tone generation an advantage had by fingerstyle players is that they of having two hands to regulate the timbre of each note

Marti Friedman's album "True Obssessions" may have some duff tracks on it but it also has some beautifully creepy, yet melodic Neo-classical overtones and some excellently expressive and extremely fast lead playing in it. Friedman's use of exotic scales particularly appeals to me.

Stanley Jordan learned to play jazz keyboard before guitar, that explains a certain stark disregard for what many of us guitarists would describe as possible! He is a very amazing player, I have one of his albums somewhere.

If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?