Gigging and Building Fanbase

Fender1165
Fender1165
11/20/2000 3:37 am
My band played our first little concert thing today at a hotel nearby. We had given out about 300 flyers for other people to come but only 15 actually did. Though we played great and the people who did come say they enjoyed it, it would have been nicer if we could have had more people hear us. I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to go about building a fanbase and playing goodsized venues??

Thanks.... and check out my band's site on the web at:
http://www.hometown.aol.com/LocalPoliticsWeb
-ejd

email:
Fender1165@aol.com
Guitarbiz@hotmail.com

Site: http://www.hometown.aol.com/Fender1165/index.html
(Sign the guestbook if u go :) )
# 1
Rat520
Rat520
11/21/2000 8:36 am
I found that with a band i was in, after we did a year level performance, we then got asked to do one infront of the school, etc. I don't know whether you are past that level, but it makes people take notic of you skills, etc.

Another way is to audition for gigs that have a few bands on in the show, this way people will notice you and usualy you will get recognition.

Anyway stick with it because it's the best feeling when you are in a band and at the end of a song the crowd goes wild.

Adrian :)
"You know, we do more than just sing and dance. We've got a brain, too."
Backstreet Boys
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/18/2000 4:01 am
I've noticed just how tedious a process this is. My band's main difficulty is that nobody is interested in booking a band such as mine. It's a small area and we're not exactly what the over 21 population is interested in, though we tend to get favorable complements. Anyway, I think the key is becoming good at self promotion. I think I also need to look at places where our audience (who's in the process of turning 21 between now and 3 years from now) can see us play. Things I think are looking up, but I definately have a hill to climb.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Joseph
Joseph
01/12/2001 11:47 pm
Originally posted by Raskolnikov
Anyway, I think the key is becoming good at self promotion. [/B]

Yes, but it takes alot of practice. Its not just about hanging up flyers, and making a few phone calls, despite the fact that its hard to tell exactly what interests the people of today, its important be able to have enough energy to give all that you've got on stage. Because voices carry, and all its takes to one person to spread the word. (Its very very important to stand your ground through thick and thin.) Just when my band was creating a strong buzz, suddenly everyone decide they had something better to do with their lives. That was just my luck... However, very important to try your best to communicate with the audiences interests as well as your own. Not necessarily conforming to whats considered to be acceptable today in music, but showng the fans how much you care about your music, expressing your feelings in more than one way. Alot of people today have very fickle fascinaions when it comes to musicians, (especially rock bands), but keep in mind that everyone appreciates a strong perfomance the fact that you're willing to put everything on the line to get your message across.

Alot of the time wee think about fame and fortune, but as long as you're making enough money to stay afloat, you're doing okay. Just maintain a positive attitude.

-Joseph, :).
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/14/2001 9:01 pm
Yes, but somewhere along the way people have to be convinced that they want to go out and have a good time. Oddly enough, that's not an easy thing to do.
So for now we're working on putting on a rocking yet eclectic show. We've also been spending alot of time trying to go out and get people interested in not only our music and the scene in general. In a way we're trying to create a scene, because the central vt music scene blows. Especially for the younger people. Few venues, and few good acts.
But in the end, I have a day job to pay the bills and I have my music. I guess I'm doing OK.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 5
Brenner
Brenner
01/16/2001 1:09 pm
I am starting up a band now but I have heard in the long run giving out as many free t shirts,cds and videos after the show will really help u out. Thats how disturbed got signed, at a different show with some record guys so many people had disturbed shirts on the record ppl just had to know who they were and y they were so popular.

I dunno, just a thought.
Dont eat yellow snow!
That is all!
# 6
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/18/2001 8:06 am
That's an expensive idea though.
I'm lucky I work in a print shop, so I can saturate the entire area with posters and flyers for dirt cheap. I also give my band's mp3's away on our web page. Getting the name out is important, no doubt about it, but takes a long time. I think word of mouth is as good as t-shirts, that way you have a demand for them once you get the money to have them made up.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7
Vulgar Display of Jeff
Vulgar Display of Jeff
02/19/2001 8:49 pm
You've gotta get used to the disappointment, dude. No matter how much you flyer around town, your actual turnout to the show is always going to be a lot less than you expected for the effort you put in. For instance, for every 20 people you gave flyers to, only one showed up. BUT...That's 15 people who wouldn't have come out before and will most likely come and see you guys again the next time you play.
That's why they call it "building" a fan base. If it were as easy as passing out flyers and everyone who reiceved one would show up, every little band in the world would be famous. Unfortunately, it takes years to build a reputation and a good sized following.
One thing you should try is to head out to a venue you're playing exactly one week before you play there and hand out flyers to the people there. Chances are, if they're out on that particular night of the week...say a Friday...then they are most likely out and about every Friday night. And the fact that they are at the venue you are playing makes them more likely to come out and see you the next week.

# 8
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/20/2001 1:59 am
Oh, I know.
You can see it when they say "yeah man, I'll be there" that they aren't going to show. It's easy to tell what people are going to do by the way they respond. The non-commital people are thinking "oh god, I gotta be to work/school/whatever the next day..." or whatever would interfere with going out that paticular night. They probably won't be there, just because they won't be able to justify going out and taking a chance on a band they've only heard of (if at all).

Now, if you can go out and proove you're a fun person, then maybe a few will show. If you hold up and they have a good time then they hopefully sign the mailing list, so atleast you have people who want to know where you're playing. If you're really lucky you can get them to drag their friends along. It is a building process, but it's kinda satisfying... "hey, 15 people showed up, but 9 signed the mailing list... atleast 9 of them want to know the next time we're playing."

I have one person on our mailing list that I hear back from every time "Have you tried sending your demo to __________" That's some cool shyte if you ask me.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
zepo
zepo
02/22/2001 1:50 am
Speaking of self promo a good way to get your flyers to people that actually go to concerts is to go to a concert of a big name band that is the same genre as you that is being held in your town or close to it and hand out your promos their more than likely you'll get a few more of them coming to your gigs than say your average person on the street.
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 10
Joseph
Joseph
02/23/2001 3:07 am
Originally posted by zepo
Speaking of self promo a good way to get your flyers to people that actually go to concerts is to go to a concert of a big name band that is the same genre as you that is being held in your town or close to it and hand out your promos their more than likely you'll get a few more of them coming to your gigs than say your average person on the street.

You know a friend of mine tried this and it worked wonders, but it all depends on if you're persistent enough and if you reach the right person. Because word of mouth travels faster than one could imagine.

-Joseph, :).
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 11
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
02/23/2001 6:09 pm
*I looked at your web-site :)...You kinda look like some semi-young dudes, so it's not like you'll be playin' nightclubs any time soon....THIS MEANS that you're gonna have to do gigs that are probably not gonna have booze, dark corners for couples to go off and make out or bathrooms that you can do some lines on the toilet or smoke a few doobies :) (AHHHH, the OLD days....:D).....WHICH MEANS YOU GOT A PROBLEM !!! (Tee-hee :) )......Young people (unless they're christians or something) don't like to just stand around a brightly lit room and stare at the band....They like to do other stuff as well.....The trick is to try to play a party or something like that (Hopefully at night with no parents around), so that you are part of whats going on, but not its entirety....THEN, you can tell all your friends that you're gonna do a gig where you can get drunk and laid ..(At least a little stink finger :D)....Just make sure it not you guys who are supplying the booze....They'll come in droves :D
*Turn the bastard up and see what happenz.... :D
# 12
Fender1165
Fender1165
03/17/2001 8:03 pm
hehe Lee... oh well, I had to leave my band earlier this week. I don't think I'll be doing anymore shows with those guys anytime soon. That's the way it goes I guess... I'm going to do some acoustic sets places around town, so I can just chill and play mellow music without any pressures of a band. I might hook up with another one later.
-ejd

email:
Fender1165@aol.com
Guitarbiz@hotmail.com

Site: http://www.hometown.aol.com/Fender1165/index.html
(Sign the guestbook if u go :) )
# 13
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/21/2001 1:58 am
I'm lucky to have a club nearby that's not only easy to find, but has the vision to book a band as young as mine, and it also has pool tables and a decent dance floor. I actually really love the room (no place to hide from us excluding the bathrooms and the kitchen). I've done a few parties too... people tell us we sound great... if you stand out in the garage where we don't overpower converstations.

As for clubs I tell them "hey atleast you won't have to worry about us getting smashed, halucinating, firing off fire extinguishers, knocking over equpment, tossing our drummer onto a guitar and cutting his face up in the process." (wink wink, nudge nudge) :P
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.