View post (Are DJ's Musicians??)

View thread

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/12/2003 4:44 pm
I think people need to tighten up their definitions otherwise un-quantifiable opinion takes president, which is only subjective and effectively meaningless. Is an apple better than an elephant ?

Is a record deck an instrument?

A CD player / record player hooked up to a PA could be an instrument if you were to hit it with a stick in a percussive manor, other wise it is a CD player / record player hooked up to a PA. If people like it, well great.

Another way of looking at this issue is to ask, “Is a small table a small table if you rest your feet on it and call it a foot stool?”

Is Britney Spears a totally synthetic puppet generated by a corporate entity for the sole purpose of making money, feeding nothing artistic and simply adding to the level of corporate greed tainting our collective unconscious....Or is she an artist?

As far as my definitions of DJs, musician and creativity are concerned DJs are only plagiarizing the creative efforts of others. This is not to say they are bad or not artistic, however they are certainly not musicians. Ask one how a Minor 7th is constructed or what the difference between a chromatic and a diatonic scale is if you want further proof of this point. If, as a guitarist you don’t know what I’m talking about, may be you need to take some lessons or get a theory book, you may even find your playing improves!

To my mind, DJ is a DJ, a musician is a musician and they are called different things because they are different.

Just my 2c

[Edited by Dr_simon on 04-12-2003 at 11:48 AM]
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS