Is Rock n' Roll Dead?

howie50
howie50
11/29/2000 6:25 pm
To Zeppelin, I agree that there are lots of bands doing that kind of metal thing to cover a lack of musicianship. If you check out the british rock scene there are young bands out there such as Reef who are playing fairly traditional rock in a fresh new way although they do remind me very much of early Led Zeppelin so you should like them(if your nom-de-plume is anything to go by). Glad to see you like AC/DC I'm going to see them tomorrow in Sheffield, I'll let you know how good they were.
It takes 3 chords, 2 fingers and one asshole to play rock'n'roll
# 1
howie50
howie50
11/29/2000 6:46 pm
To James, I pretty much agree with what you say, Britney Spears and Limp Bizkit are riding the crest of a trend, they also have large record companies behind them to push their products. Real talent though will always come through I'm talking of the Bob Dylans, John Lennons etc, such artists are still selling today whereas Britney and Limp will be gone tomorrow. I could'nt say if Britney or Limp have much musical merit I personally don't like their output but it would seem that millions do. Are they wrong ? No those artists just have great publicity machines.
# 2
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
11/29/2000 6:53 pm
Well i must agree with you that there are young bands that try to play traditional rock... i myself have band like this :)... i know i tend to see the world in dark colors, but i think that the only people that think that i have a good taste in music are my dad and my guitar teacher...
it's really sad that i can't talk almost with anyone, except for my 2-3 closest friends about "oldies" cause they laugh at me right away...
P.S if anyone of you knows a good song with slide used, please let me know, cause i started to learn slide- guitar and i need something to play :)
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 3
howie50
howie50
11/29/2000 6:58 pm
I also very much agree with Luigi, different styles come and go every few years but basically every style of popular music owes a great debt to the blues, Rock,Soul,R&B,Reggae,Hip Hop,Rap,Thrash Metal, Speed Metal,Punk,Grunge,Jazz, you name it, we can trace it all the way back to the blues, from Robert Johnson through Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker, from Chuck Berry down to Jimmy Page, Marvin Gaye we're still playing around with a basic musical format. Thank you WC Handy for giving us all this.
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/06/2000 3:55 am
Hey, I'm back!
Anyway, my thoughts are:
1), when I hear Creed, I hear alot of STP and Pearl Jam, (too much Pearl Jam for comfort on "with arms wide open"... but I'll leave that alone right now). Speaking of great live bands, Blues Traveler rips live, they're all a bunch of monsters. So the point is that rock has maintained a presance through the 90's even if it's been labeled as Grunge or whatever by the masses and the record compaines. If you don't beleive me, then check out STP's Tiny Music... Songs From the Vatican Gift Shop, this has to be my favorite album (certainly amongst the top few).

2), Change is good- if you really want the classics to remain special, we need to do other things musicly. That doesn't mean that we can't (and shouldn't) reach back and bring in the classic influences, but if we try and replicate that forever it will make the music stale and tired. Now what kind of tribute is that? Also think, for every Led Zepplin, there were how many bands that are completely forgotten now?

3), Skim what's popular, wade through the underground. So many great bands are out there that get almost no public attention. You really need to investigate and keep an open mind. If I went purely by my past intrests, I wouldn't listen to most of the music I love so dearly today. How does one jump from listening to his folk's Eagles tapes to STP, Morphine, Primus, Fishbone, Alice in Chains, Ben Harper, the Refreshments, the Urge, (and I can keep going)?
Basicly, I've learned that if I listen for honesty and originality, I can find great music everywhere.

Finally, if you want to check out some great slide work, I would get SRV's "The Sky is Crying" and give a listen to "Boot Hill." Easily the rudest song I've heard in my life. Also, check out Ben Harper's stuff, amongst all of the acts I've seen live (including Primus 4 times and Oysterhead (I was at the Burlington, VT show they first jammed at)) Ben Harper put on the best show of them all.

So this is my humble (if longwinded) opinion on the subject. If I've confused you, take comfort: I confused me too.
-Rask
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
circle jerk
circle jerk
12/31/2000 2:52 am
"we thought rock was dead when punk came out. but later punk became alternative, which is...uh...rock, mostly."

I don't really follow that. The 70's were a great year for rock weren't they? Punk is Rock'N'Roll without question. Rock to its bare essentials. Three chords and simple melody.

If you listen to older punk (proto-punk bands) like New York Dolls, MC5, Velvet Underground, Iggy and the Stooges the line is really blurred even further. Some of the earliest punk was just sped-up blues.

Punk (well the music) was about reviving the early days of rock and did. It made it raw again.

I'm sure there are bands out there writing songs like Stairway to Heaven. I really don't know that much about rock in the classic sense cause to be honest I really don't listen to much of it and I wasn't around for most of it being born in the tail end of '85 and all.

I mean I sort of dig the Animals and the Hermits and the Who. i'm a lot more about punk and ska. The Jam, Stiff Little Fingers, The Clash, X, The Dwarves, The Hives, The Ramones, The Descendents, The Icarus Line, The Angry Samoans, The Specials, The Avengers..

Anyway.. is rock dead? Nah.

*kisses*

-Circle Jerk

[Edited by circle jerk on 12-30-2000 at 11:17 PM]
# 6
Joseph
Joseph
01/04/2001 3:02 am
It seems like where ever we go theres always someone questioning whether or not rock music still exists, well its still there its just that it lack the sincerity that made it so good for so many years. It remains to be seen whether or not more band will reach the surface who write music for themselves instead of trying to fit some big picture which has been created over the past few years. There are still several great rock bands that exist today, trhey just arent tearing up the charts, I guess when It all comes down to it most people will only purchase a rock record if its (packaged properly)...But its not all about selling records, its about making history, remember that. A good rock band are those who will be remembered years laters, not for the way they shocked america and took control, (they will be remembered primarily because of the music)...

no Rock isn't dead, its just sleeping...

-Joseph :)
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 7
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/04/2001 5:57 am
To me it's allways been about the music, not history. Hell, I don't even like trying to call my music one thing or another (though reality forces me to do otherwise). Yes their are honest bands out there, yes, a few make it big, and yes, most don't. We all hate comercial music for we know what it is and what we'de rather here. So basicly it comes down to this: Their's nothing we can do but make the music we love, keep open ears and minds, and if we never get another paying gig, we atleast have our integrity.
Amen.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8

01/04/2001 5:38 pm
Amen.
# 9
Joseph
Joseph
01/05/2001 12:06 am
[i]Originally posted by Raskolnikov Theres nothing we can do but make the music we love, keep open ears and minds, and if we never get another paying gig, we atleast have our integrity.
Amen. [/B]

Well, every now and then I'm sure we all tend to run our fingers up and down the billboard charts, and to our amazement dissingenuous records continue to climb the charts. It doesnt take a brain surgeon to figure out why, because its all about being in the moment, buying a record withoyut thinking twice, without fully evaluating what their music has to offer. I'm not saying that we should analyze every song we hear to the point of no return, but a least a modicum of thinking should be required. The best acts ive seen all year have been in run down music clubs, bands that play they're hearts out because they love music, not because they want to jump on the get rick quick bandwagon, (its more than that). But when in doubt, Money prevails over all, over good judgement and mental longevity.

Integrity you say, the majority of musicians today have lost the meaning of it, and then again we all have a different definition of it. Basically, when it comes to music, it ashould be all about what pushes us to the next level of creativity, (basically what started our musical flair to begin with). But somewhere along the line we tend toi lose track of whats important. To a certain extent its understanfdable, and than again its considered to be the easy way out.

-Joseph :)

www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 10
Allie
Allie
01/05/2001 2:00 am
I play rock. By Rock I mean The Animals, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones. I love this music and I'm in my 20's so maybe there's hope for us.
# 11
Daan
Daan
01/07/2001 5:06 am
If rock 'n roll is dead, i'll bring it back to life myself! :D
Alot of rock 'n rollers added a reply here.
So has anyone of you got good rock 'n roll tabs ? like creedance clearwater revival?
(hey, i cant bring back rock 'n roll myself, i need some help with that! :) )
sorry to ask that here... :o
anyway, keep rockin and rollin! :cool:
# 12
donny44
donny44
03/27/2008 5:49 am
Concluding conversations with many wise and experienced people in music, and a few conclusions of my own, have lead me to believe rock is soon returning. There historically seems to be a pattern in the types of music a mass audience (such as the world) really enjoys. And if history serves us well we are on the verge of that particular style coming back quickly.

The search for another set of standout guitarists to accompany the likes of lonely Jack White, Slash and Josh Homme will soon seem much easier. A band called "wakefield drive" out of Vancouver, BC has an amazing lead guitarist/vocalist; especially when considering they're a 3 piece. A live show to back it up beyond belief. This may seem like a plug, but trust me, watch for these guys.
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.