View post (New to GuitarTricks)

View thread

Sweetjoe
Sweetjoe
06/18/2023 7:13 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: LisaMcC

Hi Ace,

Your practice schedule sounds great!

I recommend starting your session with something fun and easy, just to get the music in the room, and get your fingers and hands loosened up. 

Then, choose one thing as a starting-point for today's session. It could be one song, it could be a particular chord-change exercise, a scale, what-have-you. 

Spend some time with that project, and assess where it is going well, and where it still needs some more focussed attention and problem-solving. 

Break the project down into smaller components, and work on the spots that are still a little rough, one at a time. Put on your 'investigator hat' and see if you can figure out WHY a particular section is still not coming together smoothly. What, exactly, is happening there? 

Once you identify the issue, get creative with experimenting with various ways of adjusting your technique - whether it be a tweak in your hand-angle, your strategy of getting from Point A to Point B, or whatever else you can think of to try.

Once you discover a solution, something that improves your results, REPEAT it over and over and over, so it begins to sink in to your physical memory.

Then try re-integrating that smaller spot into the larger whole of the project. 

Hope this helps a little!

Have fun - Lisa

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm confident this is typical (I hope it's typical) that my left hand seems to have a mind of its own. In trying to get my fingers to hit the frets/strings they're supposed to, it's like they belong to someone else. Any tips on training fingers? I've only ever played a wind instrument so the strings are completely new to me. 

Joe