View post (Spark Mini & recommendations for a good mini amp?)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/06/2023 11:07 pm

Speaking of key chains....

My Spark GO arrived Saturday and I gave it a try.  Since then, I've done one practice session with it, the second being delayed by this post.  😉

The sound is better than I expected, not as good as I hoped.  The key for me (and all of us) is to understand that this is a 5w, battery powered amp.  It is approximately 5" X 3" X 2" and contains therein a 2" speaker.  It weights 12 ounces.  It comes with four presets of sounds/modes and has what appears to be a very, very deep app of sounds and modes and capabilities.  And that's why I can't write a decent review.

Note my GT username.  I live in a rural area, about a half-hour east of Missoula.  While T Mobile serves the area it is the only company and not the one I use.  Furthermore, I don't use/carry a smartphone as I'm simply not into 'that'.  GT is as close to social media I get and my cell phone is strictly for phone calls (when in range of my provider)... maybe twice a year in town.  So, while I don't consider myself a Luddite, indeed surfing the 'net' for almost 30 years, I can't download the app (OS or Android) and I can't speak to the all the goodies and sounds it provides.  I knew that going in but, at the least the GO looked like a fun toy.

Of the four presets, three provide a sound that I would call heavy metal, distortion and/or overdrive.  While I appreciate music described as that I don't play it myself.  I like a clean sound when I'm doing electric.  The remaining GO preset does an OK job of doing that although I wish it were a little more 'mellow.'  But again, the physical specs... the GO does an admirable job for its size, but...

I benefitted from a pre-release sale and got the GO for a good discount.  I have no regrets about the purchase and recently My Lady has talked about paying for it herself as a gift to me.  Ya' can't beat that! 👍

I wish I could help those that are interested in the GO a little bit more but, in reality, I'm missing most of what the amp has to offer.  Later, I'll see if the app can be downloaded to my iPod.  I don't have high expectations.  The Positive Grid website is a good one and has lots of stuff about the GO.  There's more on the web so you guys should dive deep.

It's worth the money it cost me (or her 😋) but it won't get much use, unless...

It's small yet, at full volume, it fills the large room I practice in.  I use a Bluetooth remote to hookup and it's super-simple.  The GO sits on my desk and I don't have to get up to mess with my 'real' amplifier.  I'm thinking I might use the GO specifically for that part of my practice that is electric.  It could probably serve to play around a campfire or on the beach... if campfires weren't so frowned upon here in MT during the summer and if MT had a beach.  😂

john

edited
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins