Learning how to read tabs

jankensgard5
jankensgard5
05/23/2023 7:33 pm

Just wondering, how is one to "get" tabs? GT doesn't really teach you how. The instructors just show their stuff and the tab appears to the right. Never a word on how to interpret what we see in the tab. Take Acoustic, lesson 1, tutorial 7, practice tune breakdown. How on earth is one supposed to know that that tab is supposed to sound like that? I have taken every lesson up to this point but I would have been absolutely lost if I looked at that tab. Because no-one has ever bothered to explain how they are to be read and translated into sound. When Anders or someone else plays of course you can try to mimic but a few words on how to deal with the tab would have been gold. Are there lessons on this site where they walk you through how to read tabs? Or where can I get this knowledge?

Thanks!

/Karl 

edited
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/26/2023 5:54 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: jankensgard5

Just wondering, how is one to "get" tabs? GT doesn't really teach you how. The instructors just show their stuff and the tab appears to the right. Never a word on how to interpret what we see in the tab. Take Acoustic, lesson 1, tutorial 7, practice tune breakdown. How on earth is one supposed to know that that tab is supposed to sound like that? I have taken every lesson up to this point but I would have been absolutely lost if I looked at that tab. Because no-one has ever bothered to explain how they are to be read and translated into sound. When Anders or someone else plays of course you can try to mimic but a few words on how to deal with the tab would have been gold. Are there lessons on this site where they walk you through how to read tabs? Or where can I get this knowledge?

Thanks!

/Karl 

We have a couple of lessons on how to read tab.

Dave has one embedded in this page.

https://www.guitartricks.com/how-to-read-guitar-tabs

I have one here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/16478

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.