Katana 50W vs 100W.

MadMaxAsteria
Full Access
MadMaxAsteria
Full Access
05/09/2023 7:05 am

Edit: Lots of great replies, thanks a bunch for the input! That video link really helped me grasp the FX loop concept much more clearly. I think I will agree with all of your good advice and stick with picking up the 50W.

---

I've been looking very closely at my next amp purchase and have been juggling these two models back and forth. Still a fairly new player (started last Dec). I only have the Mini Boss, and really like it, but am definitely craving something with proper cojones. 

Leaning heavy towards the Mk2 50W (less energy draw, smaller, cheaper)... but I was wondering if there are GT people out there who bought the 50W and regret not punching all the way to the 100W. 

What about any 50W owners out there unhappy or having problems I can't seem to find online? (I did read that one GT forum post but it seemed inconclusive to be the amp causing their issues)

I really don't plan on playing gigs or anything, this amp will travel with me on my sailing trip around the world for solo shreddage. 

Currently living in this "floating RV", I try to keep things simple and uncluttered, so the digital variety of sound available with the Katanas that allow me to reduce tons of potential pedals and plug-ins is a big draw for me.

The FX loop on the 100W is an attractive feature to solo practice with, but I'm sure there must be some pedal or something I can tag onto the 50W that can do that for me right? 

Appreciate any input!

edited

Let the shred journey begin

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
05/09/2023 9:28 pm

I have a 50, it's a great amp with a rich full tone. Plenty loud if you want it to be. We had a 100 in my son's band. More money, weight and we really never needed the extra punch. 

It's been a while since I hooked my looper into it, but I am pretty sure I was able to get the benefits of both the looper and an effects pedal without requiring an FX loop. If interested in the 50 let me know and I can try it again to be sure.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
manXcat
manXcat
05/10/2023 12:26 am
#1 Originally Posted by: MadMaxAsteria

Edit: Lots of great replies, thanks a bunch for the input! That video link really helped me grasp the FX loop concept much more clearly. I think I will agree with all of your good advice and stick with picking up the 50W.

---

I've been looking very closely at my next amp purchase and have been juggling these two models back and forth. Still a fairly new player (started last Dec). I only have the Mini Boss, and really like it, but am definitely craving something with proper cojones. 

Leaning heavy towards the Mk2 50W (less energy draw, smaller, cheaper)... but I was wondering if there are GT people out there who bought the 50W and regret not punching all the way to the 100W. 

What about any 50W owners out there unhappy or having problems I can't seem to find online? (I did read that one GT forum post but it seemed inconclusive to be the amp causing their issues)

I really don't plan on playing gigs or anything, this amp will travel with me on my sailing trip around the world for solo shreddage. 

Currently living in this "floating RV", I try to keep things simple and uncluttered, so the digital variety of sound available with the Katanas that allow me to reduce tons of potential pedals and plug-ins is a big draw for me.

The FX loop on the 100W is an attractive feature to solo practice with, but I'm sure there must be some pedal or something I can tag onto the 50W that can do that for me right? 

Appreciate any input!

Comprehensive meaningful objective comparative assessment between the two here.

Reading your 'vacillating between the two' post and apparent miscomrehension of the purpose of an FX loop, my take on which to go with? Your needs are met by the 50, but your techno lust desires the 100. The 50 will have plenty of grunt for your described purpose. So if it was me "Still a fairly new player", I'd start out with the 50 while you learn and progress, including understanding of the features of the amp. You can always trade/change later if you find you still desire or need the 100, although I seriously doubt that'll represent a need for a while.

By way of analogy -BOSS brand products not my thing, but multiple quality amps including several 100 combos and better. Although my Blackstar ID Series 260TVP has a powerful programable FS-10 footswitch, external effects loop and is a more technically advanced and comprehensively featured amp which is an absolute pleasure to play, I find myself using my humble ID:Core 40s much more frequently for everyday practicality at home. I have its proprietary FS-11 programmable footswitch and although it's a solid state driven preamp circuit without an effects loop, it accepts pedals well enough for practical purposes so that with its remote FS-11 footswitch selectable voices and/r effect on off  toggle of internal effects patchability, the absence of an external effects loop is effectively moot. 

When it comes to any of these contemporary patcheable comprehensive integral functionality featured amps, it takes an aeon of hands on use to fully come to grips with using their range of features meaningfully. When it comes to onboard loopers, I prefer the ergonomics of a full function separate external looper pedal unit.  Similarly tuners vs amp integral.  FTR even the humble 40W ID:Core has heaps of grunt for filling a 4m x 4m home studio with its presence without totally pissing off the neighbours gauged by someone with a direct side by basis of comparison with 100+W combos, and the Katana 50 is significantly louder at max volume than the ID:Core 40.  The Katana 50 has miles of headroom for everyday practice. Said with comprehension that 100 and higher output wattages have a volume knob. 

That said, can't 'go wrong' with either Katana really. Just keep in mind that the grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence and the best decision will turn out to be buying the right tool for the/your specifically intended purpose. Trust that helps your triage process. GL

# 3
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
05/10/2023 1:27 pm

my friend has the 50W and it's a good amp for home use, not loud enough for a band situation unless you have it mic'd up but your main concern seems to be the effects loop.

I don't think you will truely benefit from having one, the main purpose would be for modulation effects and can also be a benefit for a looper but only if you wanted you looper to completely bypass the onboard effects. 

As you seem to be leaning towards a katana to eliminate effects pedals and use the onboard effects i wouldn't pay the extra for the louder volume and effects loop myself but just so i'm clear you mentioned earlier you think you could buy a pedal that would give you this feature, you can't. The effects loop connects to the amplifier circuit after the pre-amp and you can not achieve this without hard wiring.

# 4
mjgodin
mjgodin
05/10/2023 4:43 pm

I have the 50w and I can concur with others that it is more than loud enough for single use. There is a power selector knob that has .5, 20&, 50w settings and I mostly play at the .5 level and occasionally 20w. I have a small practice room and at the 50w level it is way too much especially if you have single coil pickups or a hollow/semi hollow guitar you may experience some horrible feedback.

However if you can work around all that there is one discernible difference between the two models that might interest you.  The 100 watt amp gives you 8 presets versus the 4 that comes on the 50. This may or may not be a consideration for you unless you’re really into custom tones you’ve either created or downloaded. 
Just something else to think about. For me I use both acoustic and electric for this amp and I can change modes from acoustic clean or country twang or high rock distortion with just a push of a button. 

Moe

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.