View post (Just how many guitars does one need...)

View thread

majestictone
Full Access
majestictone
Full Access
02/15/2024 7:01 pm

Interesting topic... I've been playing on and off for the past 20 years but most of that playing was minimal at best but did play in a worship band for about 4 years. During that time, I did have up to 7 guitars and I too would show to my guitar teacher with a different one just about every lesson. Back then, I was seeking that elusive tone, but I was fooling myself thinking by changing guitars periodically, I would find it. Didn't happen....

Fast forward to today, I've been married 3 times, the first two couldn't care less or supported my desire to learn. I was guilty of hiding my guitars from them because of shame or the constant lack of encouragement, not that I needed it, but it does make difference in how you approach you're playing, knowing that your passion is being nurtured in a positive way.

I had a prized Heritage H535 that I had bought from a small musical shop back home and when I picked it up before leaving So Cal, the owner told me never ever get rid of it because she knew just how much I loved that guitar. Needless to say, my passion switched to photography since I had no self-encouragement much less from the wife at the time and wanted to buy a camera, the 2nd wife felt that I had too many excessive "unneeded" guitars and that I should sell some to fund my new passion.  I sold some guitars and now with my new passion going full stream, the now 2nd ex-wife hated my new passion because it took attention away from her. (I sold my prized Heritage 😣)

3rd time is a charm, my "final" wife is a professional opera singer and is beyond supportive in my combined passions and she willing to give me whatever I need to express myself in ways I could have never imagined. It brings her such joy to see me doing what I want without a reservation and judgment. 

It truly has been a work in progress getting used to being who I was truly meant to be. No more hiding gear, be open about what I would like to do and feeling encouraged to follow that path. 

Now, I am @ 5 guitars, 4 electrics and one acoustic working in my little makeshift DAW, set up how I wanted to be many years ago. My main guitar that is an extension of myself is Fender Tele Ultra "Texas Tea" What wonderful feeling guitar....

My Heritage H535....😩