Recording with Ableton Lite 11

stevesteakley
Full Access
stevesteakley
Full Access
03/20/2023 5:40 pm

This is my first time posting to the Recording section of the Forum.

I have been on GT for three years, after about two years I decided I wanted to be able to record my tunes to share with family and friends.

I chose to buy a Focusrite Scarlate Solo since I just wanted the most inexpensive audio interface with just two inputs. The Focusrite came with a Free versio of Ableton Lite 11 Software (DAW) which was more than enough for my needs. Learning to hookup the audio interface was easy. Learning to use Ableton Lite took about three weeks of playing and experimenting, several youtube how to videos, but now I have learned enough to go beyound my basic needs. I use a microphone in front of my amp rather than connect directly to the Focusrite AI because the sound is more authentic, there have been a couple of times I connected directly to the interface to get a more electronic sound but generally that is not my quest.  After about a year I spent $100 to upgrade to the next level of Ableton 11 software to get access to a larger library of Audio effects. 

So my investment so far included

Microphone $100 cable $12

Mic Stand $25

Focusrite Scarlate Solo $90 

Headphones $40

Ableton upgrade $100

With this setup I can record, edit, add up to 8 tracks, add backing tracks, audio effects etc, save recorded files in WAV and MP3.

And so much more that I have not attempted yet.

I am super satisfied and there are online support groups for all the above. You can check out my recordings on Soundcloud.com that will give you a free account to uplaod your tunes so your friends and family can listen. There is a limit to the amout of free space however, I have just about reached the limit after uploading 38 tunes. If you want more space you would have to get one of their pro accounts which I believe is very resonable if you are looking to make income from your tunes, I am not it is just a hobby for me to share with whoever will listen.

PS

I think it would be really cool if GuitarTricks included tutorials on setting up recording kits and go to advanced levels of using DAW software, midi controllers etc, etc, What do yall think?

edited

Steve Steakley

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/24/2023 4:28 pm

Thanks for sharing this Steve! Sounds like you've made a lot of progress on our guitar journey. Nice work in putting out songs!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
r.a.ymondhickss33030
r.a.ymondhickss33030
06/08/2023 12:12 pm

thanks for share this to us !!! 

# 3
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
08/19/2023 1:42 pm

Thanks Steve!

# 5
acidoxid3
acidoxid3
12/07/2023 12:38 am

My recording adventure began with a different DAW, but I recently switched to Ableton Live 12, and it's been a significant upgrade. Integrating the Mixer into the Arrangement View has streamlined my workflow, making mixing and arranging seamless.

During this transition, I found a great resource in FAQ Audio. It helped me navigate the new features of Ableton Live 12, such as Sound Similarity Search, which allows me to discover similar sounds intuitively, and MIDI Generators for creating unique musical patterns. These features have opened up new avenues for creativity in my projects. 

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.