Begging for Better Browsability

tod.gentille
Full Access
tod.gentille
Full Access
03/01/2023 7:20 pm

In general I love the GuitarTricks site and have found it extremely helpful. I do experience trouble navigating the site, in the sense that I accidentally discover a lot of great content. In another forum message, Christopher Schlegel pointed out he had a lesson on posture. I never saw this when I went through the Guitar Fundamentals, but sure wish I had. I would like to suggest adding some additional browsing capabilities. As an example you have buttons for "New Course From Anders", "Old Course From Lisa", which is helfpul. Maybe expand that to point out additional beginner topics. Even another button with "More tips from Christopher" would be great. 

More generically, having a breadcrumb trail on every course would be nice. For example, on the link Christopher pointed out,  I can easily see there are five chapters associated with this tutorial. What I can't tell is if these five chapters are just stand-alone content, or if they are part of a larger course or lesson.

GuitarTricks has obviously put a lot of thought, care, and quality (production and andragogy) into the lessons on this site. It's a shame that some of it is so hard to discover. 

With love and gratitude.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
03/01/2023 9:07 pm

Hi Tod,

Just a site member like yourself with nothing to do with the site.

The site is without exaggeration, immense. For me, the search tool is my best friend. 

Good luck with your studies!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
03/02/2023 3:57 am

I'll just add that breadcrumb style guide was what made me want to try guitartricks (I've been here for a few years now). I knew I needed a well guided path, step by step to make it work. GT gave me exactly that.

I don't cope too well with too many option so this style of teaching was exactly what I needed to get me started. A well thought path of steps, what to start with, what to do next, to make learning as efficient as possible is super important thing. Lisa and then Anders walked me through it. Loved it and learned so much because of them.

Everything that it is here is for free on the internet bascially... In one form or another... So organising everything in a very well thought manner to give a learner the best possible route for learning should be a priority.

1. FUNDAMENTALS 1 (Lisa)

2. FUNDAMENTALS 2 (Lisa)

<----- this is where I felt a little lost. Didn't know if I should start with country, blues, rock, etc.

3. ROCK STYLE LVL 1 (Anders)

4. ROCK STYLE LVL 2 (Anders)

<----- this is where I felt a little lost again. Didn't know if I should continue and learn some country, blues, etc. stuff before moving forward

5. Now I only learn the songs from the catalogue (METAL)

So far I love it~!! (except for some mistakes in notations)

I just couldn't wait any longer I guess... This is what makes me tick.. This is why I have picked up the guitar in the first place so... I guess it was a good choice.

I just hope guitartricks.com will continue on adding amazing songs to their catalogue/

P.S.
btw... most things on guitartricks.com could use some kind of an upgrade...

+ I would really like to use a spellchecker for example... which unfortunately DOES NOT WORK here...

edited
# 3
BrokenSolo
BrokenSolo
03/02/2023 6:22 am

I agree with Tod, the site has lots of content but navigation is a bit hit and miss.  You can't search for something unless you know it's there somewhere.  The search engine is a bit iffy and can't always be relied upon to find content.  The site needs a site map to assist in navigation, particularly for beginners.

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/02/2023 1:08 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: tod.gentille

In general I love the GuitarTricks site and have found it extremely helpful. I do experience trouble navigating the site, in the sense that I accidentally discover a lot of great content. In another forum message, Christopher Schlegel pointed out he had a lesson on posture. I never saw this when I went through the Guitar Fundamentals, but sure wish I had. I would like to suggest adding some additional browsing capabilities. As an example you have buttons for "New Course From Anders", "Old Course From Lisa", which is helfpul. Maybe expand that to point out additional beginner topics. Even another button with "More tips from Christopher" would be great. 

More generically, having a breadcrumb trail on every course would be nice. For example, on the link Christopher pointed out,  I can easily see there are five chapters associated with this tutorial. What I can't tell is if these five chapters are just stand-alone content, or if they are part of a larger course or lesson.

GuitarTricks has obviously put a lot of thought, care, and quality (production and andragogy) into the lessons on this site. It's a shame that some of it is so hard to discover. 

With love and gratitude.

Those are the original GF1 course starting here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/13957

And the original GF2 course is here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=fundamentals2(discontinued)

There are 3 primary categories of tutorials on GT.

1. Core Learning System. This is an integrated step by step curriculum of lessons that start at absolute beginner. The idea here is to isolate & streamline the cirriculum all in one step-by-step process.

https://www.guitartricks.com/beginner.php

2. Song Catalog. This is all the songs GT has the secured the rights to teach.

https://www.guitartricks.com/songs.php

3. Instructor Directories. These are more specialized topics, sometimes organized in sub-categories. You can view the instructors & their specialty here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructors.php

For example, I have over a thousand lesson on various topics, organized by topic or focus. In general, these are for diving deeper into any given concept or technique. They are not necessary per se to the streamlined core learning system, but will help once a student develops more interest in a certain style or technique.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=155014

We encourage all beginners to work through the Fundamentals courses, then the style course of their choice. If your knowledge & skill level is beyond the Fundamentals material, then skip to the styles!  At any level you should look for songs you enjoy, want to play & are close to your skill level.

Most importantly, if you have a question about a certain topic, or how to do some skill, please ask. The GT database of lessons is enormous! That's one reason the forum is here, to help you find the resources you desire.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
BrokenSolo
BrokenSolo
03/02/2023 8:11 pm

Thanks for this Chris but the main point raised by Tod was that this information should have been explicitly displayed on the website, to aid new members and some old hands..

# 6
tod.gentille
Full Access
tod.gentille
Full Access
03/08/2023 1:55 am

Now that I know about Instrutor Directories I can more succinctly state what I'm after. It would be helpful to have some kind of widget on the Content tab that links  back to the specific category on the Instructor Directory that leads to the lesson. Not just the Instructor page, but scroll me down to the category I'm coming from. I can see from Christopher's page that this was curated and the things I'm most likely to want to dig into next are nearby on the page.

Christopher thanks for pointing out that Instructor Directories are organized collections. My journey just got a bit easier, I think a widget would provide the affordance that other learners would benefit from.

# 7
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/08/2023 12:09 pm
#7 Originally Posted by: tod.gentille

Now that I know about Instrutor Directories I can more succinctly state what I'm after. It would be helpful to have some kind of widget on the Content tab that links  back to the specific category on the Instructor Directory that leads to the lesson. Not just the Instructor page, but scroll me down to the category I'm coming from. I can see from Christopher's page that this was curated and the things I'm most likely to want to dig into next are nearby on the page.

Christopher thanks for pointing out that Instructor Directories are organized collections. My journey just got a bit easier, I think a widget would provide the affordance that other learners would benefit from.

You're welcome!  I will forward your suggestion for a widget to the tech admin team.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.