Looking for suggestions

jmilroy93
jmilroy93
02/27/2023 10:37 pm

Hi folks I am on Guitar Fundamentals 2 Chapter 5 Barre chords with and without the Barre.

I am having difficulties getting the Barre chords shapes as I can not stretch my fingers even remotely close to play these chords.

I am stuck and wonder if I need to continue until I am able to or if I should move on to the next lessons.

My goal is to play acoustic guitar around campfire.

All advice would be appreciated 

# 1
mjgodin
mjgodin
02/27/2023 10:58 pm

Hi there. It's a common dilemma. When to move on. Don't let yourself get too frustrated. I would keep working with the chords,  but move along if you need to keep thing interesting. Barre chords are tough, but so worth it as it will open up your playing,  but they do require some hand strength and dexterity and that just comes with time. 

A couple things to check that might help. 
Have the guitar setup properly. Is the action low and the strings of light gauge. This will help tremendously. An electric is a lot easier to learn barre chords. You can usually pick them up cheap just for that purpose even if you have no intention of Playing them full time. 

Try the barre chords that are a little easier. I find the F# minor is a good one to start with and a common chord you'll use a lot around the campfire. 

You can always ask the instructors directly in their sub forums if you need more help. 

Hope that's some help. 

Moe 

edited
# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/27/2023 11:13 pm

Moe said it all...

Good luck with your practice. 

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
mjgodin
mjgodin
02/27/2023 11:44 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: William MG

Moe said it all...

Good luck with your practice. 

Thanks William. You've helped me out a lot over the years. Just paying it forward.

# 4
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/28/2023 12:56 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: mjgodin

Thanks William. You've helped me out a lot over the years. Just paying it forward.

Very nice of you to say Moe, thank you. This forum, other than the spammers, is a great way for all of us to share in our experiences and pass along what we can to others... as you often do as well Moe.

Bill

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 5
tod.gentille
Full Access
tod.gentille
Full Access
02/28/2023 7:52 pm

Hard to know what is giving you a problem but check out this Lisa McCormick  video at the 3:00 mark. Note her wrist position change when she plays the barre chord. I know when I tried my first barre chords I wasn't moving my wrist into a proper position. I went extreme at first throwing my wrist out in front and then brought it back in once I "got it".    (Too extreme would cause me pain).

# 6
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
03/01/2023 10:49 am

Anders has a blog somewhere that explains building the barre and only using parts of the barre. Which we all do in the beginning without knowing it. Check out Merce Font on you tube. A Spanish classical guitarist. Dispels the need for force and how each segment of your finger can easily cover the strings. Depending on your fingers and the nut width of your guitar the first two segments easily lie flat across the 4 highest strings and for some they can cover 5 strings. Start with one string and work across the neck. Some force needs to be built but not the white knuckle wrist stressing force we tend to think is needed. 
Dave L

# 7
jmilroy93
jmilroy93
03/01/2023 12:50 pm

Thanks for the help folks

I'll lpractice some more, at this point it seems impossible to make a Barre covering more than 1 string even without using the other fingers . I was beginning to think that after breaking the left arm several time over the years that it may not have been set properly.

Are Barre chords used in James Taylor , Neil Young Jim Croce style accoustic songs

# 8
mercuryphotog
Full Access
mercuryphotog
Full Access
03/11/2023 7:12 pm

Id suggest learning 3 finger power chords first. Once thats secondary-look up Anders tutaorials on partial Barres-they are great. I suck at full barres but these help a lot. Personally, as a rank amateur player, I don't need barres too often for most of the slow blues I prefer, but I still practice them daily. 

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.