Do you copyright your songs before showing it to producers?

QuestionAsker
QuestionAsker
02/16/2023 12:37 am

I’ve been working on an EP the past year and have 5 songs I feel are solid and ready to be recorded, and then released under my own artist name (will be my first release).

I’ve only composed it with voice and guitar, production is my weak point, so my plan is to record them as solid demos with just guitar and vocals and show them to a few producers near me.

I’d probably show it to about 4-5 producers, I don’t really know them, just people near me, or ones that have been recommended through acquaintances, etc.

Just wondering how many on here register their songs before showing them to producers or shopping them around to artists / etc.

(I've read it's also much better to copyright songs individually, vs as a group, as it's much more beneficial in case it does every become a legal issue.

I also think I have to copyright them again, once I'll do the official release? Or is that not the case, if the lyrics/melody haven't really changed?)

# 1
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
02/16/2023 9:15 am

Whether you're submitting a book idea to various publishing houses or an album to music producers, it would be prudent to have your work copy-righted beforehand.

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 2
QuestionAsker
QuestionAsker
02/19/2023 3:20 am
#2 Originally Posted by: Drake the Red

Whether you're submitting a book idea to various publishing houses or an album to music producers, it would be prudent to have your work copy-righted beforehand.

thanks Red. 

Trying to figure out how the unpublished work thing works, I read somewhere that you have to release your work within 3 months of registering and unpublished work, to get the full protection benefits. 

Trying to figure out a logical step by step roadmap for registering unpublished work, working with producer, then releasing the song and registering the copyright of the master. And then I have to reregister the lyrics and melody again for the published work? Still trying to figure all this out.

# 3
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
02/19/2023 7:52 am

No problem at all.

The legal rules are different for every country, but technically copyright can last up to 70 years after a copyright legislation has been requested by the owner.

You could always mail yourself a hardcopy of the music notation of your songs, which can prevent any fraud or theft. Which is a great way of safeguarding the rights to your music for free. 

Another recommended option would be to find a trustworthy manager,  if within your budget. Most musicians/bands prefer that, but finding a reliable, reputable manager isn't always easy in the music business.

Just remember that you always have options and talking to other musicians or solo artists on how they promote themselves locally can also be very beneficial.

Am I the only one who plays multiple instruments? Let's be inspirational and find our muses everyday!

# 4
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
02/19/2023 8:04 am

As an afterthought, if you're having trouble finding reliable information about this, your best bet is to read what your local government website says on the subject. 

https://www.copyright.gov/engage/musicians/

https://www.copyright.gov/

edited

# 5
QuestionAsker
QuestionAsker
02/20/2023 4:51 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: Drake the Red

As an afterthought, if you're having trouble finding reliable information about this, your best bet is to read what your local government website says on the subject. 

https://www.copyright.gov/engage/musicians/

https://www.copyright.gov/

Thanks Red, great links, reading up now

# 6
Drake the Red
Full Access
Drake the Red
Full Access
02/23/2023 2:48 am

Glad I could assist; congrats on creating your own music and good luck 😉

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.