View post (What key is this... 12 Bar Blues E Maj. A Maj D Maj)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/13/2023 1:03 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: SRVFan2000

E Maj--A Maj.--D Maj. 

I am playing a typical 12 bar blues, almost shuffle like progression. I think that E min. pentatonic sounds right but I am not sure it is technically correct since they are all major chords. I don't usually associate blues with being major. I would assume it is E Maj. but I am not sure the E Major scale sound right over this. Maybe I just don't know, what I don't know.

Thanks!

If you like the sound, then it is technically correct.

There are other ways to look at those chords & try a different musical approach.  But which one you use is going to depend entirely on what kind of sound you are after.

If you are just playing those chords, in that order, then it could be an E mixolydian progression.

E (I) / A (IV) / D (bVII)

And the E minor pentatonic scale notes (e-g-a-b-d) are going to create a bluesy or blues-rock-ish sound with those chords.

You could also use E major pentatonic (e-f#-g#-b-c#).  Those notes are going to sound bluesy & R&B.  Or Allman Bros-ish.  The g# might sound a little odd when the A or D chords com along.  Depends on if you like that sound.  And of course you can just play it when the E chord happens.

And you can mix & match E minor pentatonic with E major pentatonic.

You could also play E mixolydian (e-f#-g#-a-b-c#-d) because those notes match exactly.  You would have to be careful to target the chord tones as the chords occur because you've got a whole diatonic scale there.  That would give you a more happy bluesy, rock or pop sound.

Alternately, you could look at those chords as being in the key of A major.

E (V) / A (I) / D (IV)

And play the notes of the A major scale (diatonic or pentatonic) & target the chords tones as they occur.  And E mixolydian is the same collection of notes as A major since it's just the 5th mode of the scale.

Lots of options here.  It just depends on what kind of sound you want.

Did you ever work through my improvisation tutorials?

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/learning-to-improvise

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory