Hello from chilly New England!

idzeeboo
idzeeboo
02/08/2023 9:18 pm

I'm Vince! I've been into music my whole life. Started on the recorder in grade school, then played the trombone in the school band. As an adult, I picked up drums and started playing in a band while in FL for several years. Now, I am back home in New England and looking to FINALLY learn guitar. It's something I have had the desire to do for a long time, but until recently, never had the time. All the kids are grown and gone, and my wife and I are empty nesters. I picked up a used Drive G120 guitar amp online, and then got a used Dean Avalanche electric guitar to start me off. Then added a year of GuitarTricks for the win! Just started the beginner lessons last night and really looking forward to getting going.

# 1
mjgodin
mjgodin
02/09/2023 1:32 am

Hi there and welcome to the site. I'm in southern New Hampshire myself. We had a few others around the area,  but have not seen them on lately so not sure if they're still around. If your taking lessons from Lisa say hi to her. She's in Vermont. 
Enjoy and good luck with your journey.  

Moe

edited
# 2
idzeeboo
idzeeboo
02/09/2023 1:36 am
#2 Originally Posted by: mjgodin

Hi there and welcome to the site. I'm in southern New Hampshire myself. We had a few others around the area,  but have not seen them on lately so not sure if they're still around. If your taking lessons from Lisa say hi to her. She's in Vermont. 
Enjoy and good luck with your journey.  

Moe

Thanks Moe! I too am in that area! I have only taken the first few introductory lessons from Anders so far. I am a total beginner, so I will definitely check her lessons out too.

# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/12/2023 4:29 pm

Hello fellow New Englanders! 
And welcome to GuitarTricks, where it is always nice and warm, and fun. 
Anders' Beginners Course is great!
And, I encourage you to take a look at my Beginners Course as well.

Our courses, and teaching styles, are slightly different from one another. All good!

I live in Southern Vermont, in the arsty musical quirky town of Brattleboro. 
In New England solidarity, keep on playing and keep warm!
- Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4
idzeeboo
idzeeboo
02/12/2023 8:47 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: LisaMcC

Our courses, and teaching styles, are slightly different from one another. All good!

- Lisa

Cool! Thanks for the info Lisa!

I will definitely check out your beginner lessons. I'm in southern NH myself, so good to know that New England has such good representation! šŸ˜

See you online!

Vince

# 5
idzeeboo
idzeeboo
02/12/2023 10:41 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: LisaMcC

- Lisa

Quick question Lisa, I see that your lessons are on acoustic guitar, but I only have electric. Will that make much difference? Sorry if it is I silly question, but I'm a total guitar noob.

# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/17/2023 1:57 pm
#6 Originally Posted by: idzeeboo

Quick question Lisa, I see that your lessons are on acoustic guitar, but I only have electric. Will that make much difference? Sorry if it is I silly question, but I'm a total guitar noob.

I'll jump in; the answer to the question is, no. It won't really matter when you're learning. Truth is, electric is physically easier to start with than an acoustic. You're all good and nothing to worry about. I played for a couple of decades before actually owning my own acoustic (I did borrow often in those years). So no worries.

Side note, if you do want to ask a direct questions to an instrustor, as a full access member, you can go down to the sub-forum for that instructor and post your question. Chris and Lisa are pretty active in the forum so likely you'd get a quick reply.

# 7
idzeeboo
idzeeboo
02/17/2023 2:06 pm
#7 Originally Posted by: JeffS65

I'll jump in; the answer to the question is, no. It won't really matter when you're learning. Truth is, electric is physically easier to start with than an acoustic. You're all good and nothing to worry about. I played for a couple of decades before actually owning my own acoustic (I did borrow often in those years). So no worries.

Side note, if you do want to ask a direct questions to an instrustor, as a full access member, you can go down to the sub-forum for that instructor and post your question. Chris and Lisa are pretty active in the forum so likely you'd get a quick reply.

Thank you for the info Jeff, I really appreciate it! I am going to go pick up an acoustic this weekend at my local Guitar Center. I will likely be switching back and forth throughout the training. I like the idea of being able to be unplugged if I want to. šŸ˜€ 

# 8
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
02/18/2023 6:10 pm

Welcome!

# 9
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/19/2023 11:58 pm

Hey all,

It's totally fine to use an acoustic, electric, or to swtich back and forth.

What is taught in the lessons applies to both styles of guitar.

Of course, there are differences in how the guitars will sound, and feel, to your ear and your hands.

But the Basics are the Basics - and apply to both acoustic and electric guitars.

Have fun! - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.