Next Guitar - acoustic or electric ?

pauledeveaux
pauledeveaux
02/06/2023 3:19 am
I started learning a few months ago and am now about halfway through fundamentals 2. I think my next step after that will be the Blues track. My interests are in funk, blues, and R&B.

Currently I am on a Dean AK48PK (Acoustic) that is on loan from my wife. It's been great to get started on but I think I am at the point where I want my own guitar. The decision I am trying to make is between getting a better acoustic or getting an electric. I was thinking of spending in the neighborhood of $1000. I know that once I decide between acoustic and electric it will come down to going to the shop and playing a few. Right now I am trying to determine which will better serve me going through the Blues course and learning funk and R&B. 

Any guidance folks can provide would be welcome. 

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/06/2023 4:25 am

Electric. You will begin string bending, much much easier with an electric.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
mjgodin
mjgodin
02/06/2023 10:17 am

Agreed. The electric will be easier and give you a wider range of tones more found in jazz/ blues style. Just remember though part of that 1000 will need to go to some sort of amp. Be it a floor amp or headphone style. The good news for 1000 you can get a good electric, amp and maybe enough left over for a decent parlor acoustic. Have fun shopping. 

Moe

# 3
KylaKoppy
KylaKoppy
04/09/2024 8:37 am

Choosing between an acoustic and an electric guitar depends on several factors and your specific musical interests.

Acoustic Guitar:Great for fingerstyle playing and developing a strong sense of rhythm.

Electric Guitar:Provides a wide range of tones through amp settings and effects pedals, suitable for funk's rhythmic grooves and bluesy leads.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.