View post (Practice)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
02/10/2023 3:26 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: marketkin

My instructor is Anders. I am really enjoying the lessons but there are no specific instructions on what or how to practice so I just move on to the next tutorial when I finish one. Does anyone know if this is the right way to do the course?

If you're building a rocket, there are certain steps you must take or the rocket may go BOOM! No one has accused guitar players of being rocket scientists (see what I did there  😎  ). So, the silly point is; there is really no perfectly right way to progress. That's also the good news.

If you try to perfect every aspect of a lesson, you'll never progress. I've mentioned in a few threads larely that even though I've been playing since 1981, been in bands and have a good amount of skill, I still really don't have a good open C chord. It's ok and no one will know the difference but it ain't great if I'm being objective.

Had I needed to perfect the open C and let that stop me, I woulda gotten nowhere.

Any lesson you learn, get it down solid enough where you feel mostly comfortable. Not perfect but comfortable. That's not to say you won't go back to some lesson to practice things. You should and you will. Unless the part of the lesson you're learning requires you perfect something, get things down solid and move on, return back to that lesson and brush and keep progressing.

We all have things, no matter how long we play, that will not be perfect. It's guitar and not that rocket science thing. The idea is to have fun and get better at the same time. Don't make it drudgery because of one part. Build and enjoy. Improve the weaknesses as best you can but don't let them stop you.

So, when to progress? Really, that thing you first asked. When it feels right. No one is testing you on it.