Old Dog learning New Tricks - Hello from St Louis Missouri

Twaltemade
Twaltemade
02/02/2023 11:53 am

Good day!  I haven't seriously picked up a guitar to learn since my beginner lessons in the late 1970s, so Im really starting over.  I am concerned that I am too old to learn guitar in my mid 50s.  I don't read music, and I've struggled trying to teach myself music using iPad apps and books from Amazon a few years ago.  I just signed up for a year subscription here, so I'm excited to see how these video sessions work.  I plan to commit 30-45 minutes per day to practice (whatever my finger tips will tolerate)

I like rock, metal and blues, so I broke down and bought an entry level electric guitar (Michael Kelly Hybrid 60 Port on sale) and a Fender Champion 20 watt amp.  I don't know anything about equipment, so that may have been a stupid purchase.  I also hired a guitar coach for a few early sessions.  I figured that I would be more likely to stick to a "sound" that I like....plus maybe I can learn some relevant music.

This is all new to me, so I'll be surfing the forum trying to pick up tips and tricks.  I also need to build up some calluses on my fingers.

Look forward to learning from all of you.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/02/2023 3:34 pm

Very common story here so you are in good company. I took it up "again" in January of '19. With the guitar I bought in 1980! Gear is fine, it comes down to practice and patience and keeping expectations reasonable.

Very good idea to hire a coach. I have a coach I use as well because sometimes I just need to sit down with someone and say "hey, I am really struggling with this, what do I need to do to get this right?" So I would keep that relationship for the long term. You may not need a coach every week but you will benefit by having him or her available when required. Just let them know what you are doing so they know what type of client you will be.

Good luck!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
Twaltemade
Twaltemade
02/02/2023 6:02 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: William MG

Very common story here so you are in good company. I took it up "again" in January of '19. With the guitar I bought in 1980! Gear is fine, it comes down to practice and patience and keeping expectations reasonable.

Very good idea to hire a coach. I have a coach I use as well because sometimes I just need to sit down with someone and say "hey, I am really struggling with this, what do I need to do to get this right?" So I would keep that relationship for the long term. You may not need a coach every week but you will benefit by having him or her available when required. Just let them know what you are doing so they know what type of client you will be.

Good luck!

Thank you for the encouraging words William.  I was initially planning on 5-10 sessions with a coach to get started, but I will follow your advice and maintain a longer term relationship there.  Between the Guitar Tricks and the guitar coach, I should be covered.   All the best to you!

# 3
mjgodin
mjgodin
02/02/2023 7:43 pm

Another oldie but goodie here Twaltemade. 
Good luck and have fun but take it slow on those callouses. 

Moe

edited
# 4
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
02/03/2023 1:34 am

Not too old! Welcome!

# 5
Badgering
Badgering
02/03/2023 8:47 am

RW I am on the wrong side of 80 and can barely manage a dozen chords, I prefer to finger pick as it helps me recognise what I am trying to play. It is a sure thing that time in the saddle is where it is at but share your time between making a noise and enjoying holding your first purchased guitar, then read the dummies guide in slow time. This where I am after 6 odd years and I love the time doing both each and every day. Enough enjoy and the moments.

# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/03/2023 2:59 pm

You're never, ever too old to start. The equipement, just fine. More than enough to get you rolling and more than a couple miles down the road. Back in the old days when I started, most budget brands were terrible knock offs that played poorly. Now? A so-called budget guitar goes a long way.

Just a quick tip as an obersvation from many years seeing posts and such from this board; understand that guitar looks easy when you see it performed but not so easy when you try to learn. There will be some friction at the outset. So what. The tip is to understand that such friction applies to pretty much every guitar player nearly ever. 

The guitar is both a physical discipline and an educational one. They may not always meet (or in my case, the physical for many years got waaaayyyy ahead of the educational one). Your head wants to get ahead in many cases, mine excluded, but your hands aren't quite there. Know that this can be a source of frustration. I've used this example recently; if you throw right handed but had to learn to throw left handed, how long do you think it would take to become a lefty? A good while. Well, kinda the same with guitar, you're teaching yourself a physical skill and something it's not used to and doing so with both hands. Give yourself a break. Quoting some obscure movie song : 'Let it gooooo'  ;) 

Good luck and you'll get there.

# 7
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/05/2023 5:10 pm

Welcome, congratulations, and.....have FUN!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.