Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
02/01/2023 4:03 am

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/21627

The song starts with (video):

----0----

----8----

and yet lessons' notation show something different.

There's also one hammer on after that and not two (notation)

# 1
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
02/01/2023 4:44 am

there are more missing things before the heavy distorion kicks in as well...

Am I reading it in a correct way or this is mess and someone is clearly bad at their job? It is absolutely f... frustrating trying to learn and pick on mistakes along the way not knowing what is going on...

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/01/2023 12:16 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: tgchan

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/21627

The song starts with (video):

----0----

----8----

and yet lessons' notation show something different.

There's also one hammer on after that and not two (notation)

That's first diad should not have a hammer-on.  It should just be the G on the B string and the open E string.  The rest of it looks right.

I've forwarded this to the notation team to fix.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
02/04/2023 7:45 am

Thank you/

edited
# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/05/2023 3:03 pm

You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 5
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
02/06/2023 4:11 am
#5 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

You're welcome!

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/21632

First line?

The notation shows what is played in the "preview/let's check it up close" then something different is taught later in the video. It's one more note but still... It confuses someone who does not know much and is trying to understand things. Is it the same thing but fuller? Different? Which one should I play? Etc.

Have a great day/night.

edited
# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/06/2023 1:26 pm
#6 Originally Posted by: tgchan

First line?

The notation shows what is played in the "preview/let's check it up close" then something different is taught later in the video. It's one more note but still... It confuses someone who does not know much and is trying to understand things. Is it the same thing but fuller? Different? Which one should I play? Etc.

Have a great day/night.

Yes, the notation refers to the performance video.  When there is inconsistency between the performance & the breakdown, then the notation usually follows the performance as the standard.  Typically the performance video & breakdown segments are shot at different times. Then various parts are edited together after the fact.  So sometimes there are small inconsistencies between them.

In this case Mike shows a slightly more full version of the power chords than he plays in the performance.  It's just adding an extra root note an octave higher.

|------------------|
|------------------|
|----------5-(c)---|
|--5-(g)---5-(g)---|
|--3-(c)---3-(c)1--|
|------------------|

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 7
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
02/12/2023 5:38 am

nvm,

found some other minor inconsistencies but I've decided not to trouble you with them (especially that there are a few of them in different parts of the song...). I cannot figure them out from the performance part (too fast) so they may fall into the previously mentioned category of : "When there is inconsistency between the performance & the breakdown, then the notation usually follows the performance as the standard.  Typically the performance video & breakdown segments are shot at different times. Then various parts are edited together after the fact.  So sometimes there are small inconsistencies between them."

P.S.

No related but super important:

I would love to have a working spellchecker on forum though ;(  It's really hard for a non-native to write here without this aid. The fact that this is the only place/forum where it doesn't work is making it even harder to bear/

edited
# 8
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/12/2023 8:08 pm

"found some other minor inconsistencies but I've decided not to trouble you with them (especially that there are a few of them in different parts of the song...)."

When in doubt follow the notation of the performance!

"I would love to have a working spellchecker on forum though ;(  It's really hard for a non-native to write here without this aid. The fact that this is the only place/forum where it doesn't work is making it even harder to bear/"

That's a good idea!  I'll pass it along to the admin!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 9
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
02/21/2023 4:43 am

I don't see nor hear any palm-muted ---0--- s

which are noted in many places throughout the song

for example, after:

-5---5------------------

-5---5------------------

-3---3------------------

-------------------0P.M.----

or

-9---9--------------------------------

-7---7--------------------------------

-0---0-------------0P.M.-------------

Am I missing something or this is wrong as well?

edited
# 10
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/21/2023 8:25 pm

Those low E notes are all in the riff.  Mike sometimes lets them ring a bit louder, sometimes a little less loud.  But it is difficult to hear sometimes with that overdriven tone.  Sometimes it's just a quick little "clunk".  But they are in there.  Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 11
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
02/22/2023 4:04 am
#11 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Those low E notes are all in the riff.  Mike sometimes lets them ring a bit louder, sometimes a little less loud.  But it is difficult to hear sometimes with that overdriven tone.  Sometimes it's just a quick little "clunk".  But they are in there.  Hope that helps!

It helps a lot~!! Thank you very much once again for clearing that up for me/

Have a great day~!!

EDIT:

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/17283

What about here? I can see and hear it being played with a slide from 2nd fret up to 3rd yet the notation shows 2 and 3 without a slide.

I would appreciate an insight and a little help from someone who knows, once again :)

Also Duck And Run: Jam Along is missing notation:

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/17289

edited
# 12
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
02/26/2023 5:23 am

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/17286

There are some missing palm-mutes in the second part of the first line of the notation...

I am trying to figure it out but even with a slowed down video it is still way too fast for me to register all that is happening :/

The only thing I have managed to figure out is that the notation do not match what is played... making it REALLLLLLLLLLY hard to learn... 

You see one thing and hear something different... This is really wearing me off... 

I have learnt a lot from the guitartricks and this is the only reason I am still here but I keep wondering if I could have learnt more and faster if things were done properly and with more care.

edited
# 13
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
07/15/2023 3:55 am

again...

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/15593

both rhythm section and solo section have errors an Mike teaches/shows something different to what the notation shows.

edited
# 14
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/16/2023 1:58 pm
#14 Originally Posted by: tgchan

again...

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/15593

both rhythm section and solo section have errors an Mike teaches/shows something different to what the notation shows.

Sorry you keep experiencing this on that tutorial.  I had a look at the notation & performance section.  That all looks right.  I'll look at the breakdown section again.  Is that is where you are finding inconsistencies?

I think the best thing to do in most of these cases is follow the notation & the performance section.  

I'll update you if I find anything helpful!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 15
tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
07/17/2023 4:02 am

I think you're right. The performance=full speed looks alright but the breakdown section seems to be a little different which adds to the confusion. Nothing that can be done now as the performance section looks fine. But it is really disorientating when you are trying to learn a new thing and full speed = normal then when explaining more slowly it shows something different. You kind of have no idea what to follow. Makes it really hard.

I understand it is quite easy to get lost with all that when explaining but it shouldn't show two different things and make a student run in cricles trying to figure it out that a slowed down/breakdown section is a little different to what is played.

Again not the first time/song where I have encountered that... I've just forgotten that it might be the case again with a slow/breakdown section.

Thank you for reminding me that. Hopefully I will not encounter many more such instances though/

The song rocks though and despite the difficulties I enjoy learning it a lot. 

Fun fact = most of the time I enjoy GuitarTricks songs more than the originals. I think it has something to do with the fact that when you listen to a song for the first time you kind of bond/fall in love with it and then when you hear another version (even though it's the original one) it kind of sounds off/different/not as cool anymore.

# 16
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/17/2023 12:02 pm

"But it is really disorientating when you are trying to learn a new thing and full speed = normal then when explaining more slowly it shows something different. You kind of have no idea what to follow. Makes it really hard."

Yes, it does make it unnecessarily difficult.

"Thank you for reminding me that. Hopefully I will not encounter many more such instances though"

I also hope not!  I think it's mostly the very old tutorials that have glitches like that.

"Fun fact = most of the time I enjoy GuitarTricks songs more than the originals."

That makes sense!  Glad you are still enjoying the process of learning!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.