New beginnings

Birddog656
Full Access
Birddog656
Full Access
01/25/2023 12:33 am

Hello everyone 

I decided to join guitar tricks because I just started to teach myself to play electric guitar right handed when I injured myself 2 weeks after starting. So now I own a left handed electric guitar and just beginning again, lol. Only have use of my thumb and index finger on strumming hand but so far so good. 

It is true about muscle memory.  Since I am a beginner and had to switch hands guitar tricks is helping. I am only a couple lessons in but things are going great and I am full of confidence guitar tricks will see me to fulfill my bucket list of learning to play guitar.

Never give up, there is always other ways of doing things

Cheers

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/25/2023 1:13 am

Hey, sounds like you had a serious accident. Very cool that you are making adjustments so you can continue learning. 

Hoping the very best for you with your progress.

edited

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
01/27/2023 2:16 am

Awesome!

# 3
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/27/2023 3:13 pm

Hi Birddog,

Wow, what a tale you have to tell. I am so sorry about your injury and subsequent changes in your hands' abilitie. 

It is so interesting to me,  as a teacher of  muscle-memory, to know that your accident happened when you had only just gotten started with guitar, and then suddenly had to make a switch to learning to play techniques, using opposite hands from what you were beginning to get used to.

If there is a Silver Lining to this, it is fortunate that both your right and left hands were in the very early stages of muscular-learning, and they are now showing up eager to learn, saying to you, "Ok, well, we'll just start again, from the other direction!"

Many of the greatest of the greats use only a thumb and forefinger for strum-hand technique.

Go for it!!!!

And thanks for sharing your story! -Lisa McCormick

edited
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.