Beginner questions

Hduenejsi so
Hduenejsi so
01/09/2023 5:10 am

Two questions. 

1) I'm going fundamentals part one. In chapter 4 with power cords. For a two not power cord such as the ones Zander's is teaching, do you strum just the strings that being used such as strings 5 and 6.  Or do you strum all?  I can't tell in the video. 

2). Should you learn the basics of each lesson and then move in or become a master and then move on. So far I have learned the basic of each lecture but move on to the next lecture set every day or other day. But I do practice the material from all prior lectures daily. 

thanks 

# 1
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
01/09/2023 9:52 am

depending on the power chord the strum would be strings 6 & 5or strings 5 & 4

no more strings so no more notes added ,keeping the chords as power chords. 

Generally it would be stay with a lesson until understgood, move on to the next ones but keep looking back and decide what skills you wish to build in to a practice session.

This session will evolve as you do more and maybe decide a direction or maybe just recognise some weaknesses

Dave

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/09/2023 12:26 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: Hduenejsi so

Two questions. 

1) I'm going fundamentals part one. In chapter 4 with power cords. For a two not power cord such as the ones Zander's is teaching, do you strum just the strings that being used such as strings 5 and 6.  Or do you strum all?  I can't tell in the video. 

2). Should you learn the basics of each lesson and then move in or become a master and then move on. So far I have learned the basic of each lecture but move on to the next lecture set every day or other day. But I do practice the material from all prior lectures daily. 

thanks 

Only strum the strings indicated in the notation and tab on the lesson page.  As a general rule with power chords, you should only strum the strings you want ringing.  But you can also learn to mute the other strings from ringing if you accidentally strum them.

Regarding going through the course, you should do both!  Move forward in the course to keep things interesting, while making time to keep practicing the things in previous lessons until you have them under your command.

If at any point you feel overwhelmed with new information, then stop watching new lessons & dedicate time to only practicing the material you've already worked on.  Keep in mind that most of your practice time will be away from the computer, after you've watched the lesson, just focusing on playing guitar.

You are not done with any lesson until you understand the ideas being taught & can do the skill being shown.  That happens to every guitar learner at some point, so don't get discouraged.  It's a completely normal part of the learning process.  Just keep practicing!

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
PlinkingZombie
Full Access
PlinkingZombie
Full Access
01/13/2023 12:17 am

I go back and redo the lessons to help cement it.  When I get stuck on stuff and get frustrated I will go back a few chapters and restart from there, it helps to build confidence and just set in stone those earlier skills.  Also, switch up the instructors.  

# 4
chemical_fusion
Full Access
chemical_fusion
Full Access
01/16/2023 4:47 pm

It took me a while to get used to those power chords and then moving them too was another hurdle, but to save myself frustration I moved on with the course, but I also practiced the power chords everyday for atleast 5 minutes, then it just clicked :)  

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.