I'm so confused!!

duckpeeps2007
duckpeeps2007
01/07/2023 8:13 pm

I'm new to guitar.  I only have a Les paul epiphone and a fender mustang amp.  I've just finished going through the first set of lessons with Andrew Mouridson and I wanted to finally learn an actual song.  However when I went to the different song lessons I had an awful time trying to first find a beginner song for electric guitar and then an even worse time trying to configure my amp so that my guitar sounded like how the instructor said it should sound.  In the end I went off trying to figure out why and I came across many things.  For one thing my amp doesn't have a knob that says presence or mids or drive or anything, and secondly I don't know if I'm able to play certain songs because I don't know if I have a humbucker.  I'm not even sure what exactly a humbucker is.  I'm just really confused and need help.  Do I need a new guitar that has certain things in order to play certain songs?  Do I need a better amp that has a knob for mids, drive, and presence?  What song should I try to learn?  Should I do the second set of lessons by Andrew Mouridson?  How much should I be practicing to get good at guitar?  

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/07/2023 9:48 pm

Hello,

Yes you should finish GF2.

You have what you need to play, you may not be able to get the exact tone, but that is less important than learning songs.

As to what song(s) you should learn, I would have a difficult time learning a song I didn't like. So maybe start by looking through the songs list for a band you enjoy and look for easier songs to play, these will show as a number of picks. 2 picks will be easier than 4 picks and so on.

Alternatively you could look for songs "made easy".

Humbuckers are a type of pickup usually associated with hard rock sound. Think AC DC,  Kiss, GNR etc. Your guitar will have humbucker pickups.

But what you have is absolutely fine to learn how to play and learn songs. The Mustang line is a decent line, maybe checkout YouTube on how to use the controls to dial in your tone.

Forgot this one, the more time you spend on lessons and your gear the more you will learn. 

edited

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
duckpeeps2007
duckpeeps2007
01/08/2023 6:20 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: William MG

Hello,

Yes you should finish GF2.

You have what you need to play, you may not be able to get the exact tone, but that is less important than learning songs.

As to what song(s) you should learn, I would have a difficult time learning a song I didn't like. So maybe start by looking through the songs list for a band you enjoy and look for easier songs to play, these will show as a number of picks. 2 picks will be easier than 4 picks and so on.

Alternatively you could look for songs "made easy".

Humbuckers are a type of pickup usually associated with hard rock sound. Think AC DC,  Kiss, GNR etc. Your guitar will have humbucker pickups.

But what you have is absolutely fine to learn how to play and learn songs. The Mustang line is a decent line, maybe checkout YouTube on how to use the controls to dial in your tone.

Forgot this one, the more time you spend on lessons and your gear the more you will learn. 

Ok, thanks.  Hearing your comments has been a great relief.  I will follow your advice.  Thanks again.

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/08/2023 7:08 pm

Keep working at it, things will come together.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
pauledeveaux
pauledeveaux
01/09/2023 3:11 am

There is a great tutorial on guitar parts & functions. Use the search bar to find it. It will tell you about the different pickups. I'm sure there is a lesson somewhere on working with your amp as well. There is a ton of information on GuitarTricks. 

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.