Listening differently to music

ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
01/06/2023 10:07 am

Been on GT for a couple of years now

Still ambling along trying to get chord changes up to speed

Do other contributors find they are listening to music in a different way than they did before trying to play the guitar.

Used to notice groups and their music but didn't always know the individual players and their roles  Now following the history of some of those individuals

You realise how many layers there are to a piece of music you thought would be a simpler piece and how little guitar is in some pieces where you had  thought there was more.

Not identifying chords or chord changes yet but I now know they are there . Hearing the blues form and the bass lines way more.

What have others found changed in their music habits

Dave

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/10/2023 12:44 am

Hi Dave

Definitely. My listening habits have changed. The biggest change has been listening and appreciating the skill displayed within a song that most likely wasn't even a hit.

Lately I have been listening to BTO II, an album I really didn't like as a kid, but it had "Takin Care of Business" on it so was worth the spend. But now I can listen to songs like "Welcome Home" from the same album and appreciate the skill displayed. 

And like yourself, I find myself researching bands that had too quickly slipped by my interest. To give another example,  Foghat. They had a great hit back in the 70s called "Slow Ride". Bit digging into them some 50 years later, wow, what a band.

Great post!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
01/10/2023 7:30 pm

Ditto for me Dave.

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/12/2023 4:55 pm

I've been playing guitar since the early 80's so that's not as easy a question to ask. I mean, I was a high school kid wanting to learn songs I liked. I can't say I recall back then my ear for how I listened to music much changed. I was just trying to learn some riffs and all that.

With that said....

While my ear for various parts did evolve, the moment I started really hearing parts was a day I was listening to Kansas 'Carry on Wayward Son'. One of the best produced songs of the 70's, I'd posit. It was that clarity that I could 'see' each part. Not just as a collective but as parts too.

Late in the 80's, I'd help run sound for some friends bands and with a couple of tips from better sound guys and a decent ear, with enough messing about, you start to realize the textures and layers. Then there's that time I was helping my friends band doing a bridge gig over a river and we got a complaint from 30 blocks away. Good times......

To the subject at hand, being able to her what the bassline does or the differences in guitar parts and where the drum falls in the groove. Hearning those parts really helps understand the 'orchestration' of a song.

# 4
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
01/12/2023 5:26 pm

And the more we pour our efforts into understanding music, the deeper the pool of appreciation gets.  Decades into my guitar journey I am still amazed at the fact that there is no bottom to this experience. It just keeps growing and getting better. 

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 5
manXcat
manXcat
01/13/2023 10:45 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: snojones

And the more we pour our efforts into understanding music, the deeper the pool of appreciation gets.  Decades into my guitar journey I am still amazed at the fact that there is no bottom to this experience. It just keeps growing and getting better. 

👍 Ditto.

# 6
amayahaley23
amayahaley23
06/22/2023 7:38 am

I always want to learn new music genres but it is very difficult to adapt to new music.

bad ice cream

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.