View post (New player with keyboard experience)

View thread

Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
12/19/2022 12:52 am

Welcome Shep.

I'm a keyboard buy too - years of music theory, keyboard expertises, etc.  I added guitar in my teens because a piano was too big to tote around at that time.  Didn't apply the "seriousness" to my guitar playing as my piano.  You're in a great spot because your ear is most likely highly developed.

I'd suggest either or both of the beginner guitar courses.  There are a lot of mechanics unique to playing the guitar that differ from playing the keyboard and the beginner course are excellent.  Along the way, you can add some simple versions of songs available in the library for motivation.  After that, it's just a matter of choosing a direction.  I chose the Blues and went through both (outstanding) sections of the Blues course.

If you want to stick with "ear based" playing, you can do that here.  If you'd like to gain a greater understanding from a formal perspective, that's here as well.

Some interesting things moving from keys to guitar - you're moving from 88 keys all in a row to 66 to 84 (or more) in six overlapping layers.  At times over the years I playes a keyboard stack.  Kind of the same, maybe?  You'll find transposing keys (say going down a couple of keys) to fit the needs of a singer much more easy.

Dynamics/attack on guitar are affected by fingers, wrist, elbow, shoulder - similar to a real piano.

Of course, there are things unique to guitar:  slides, bending, etc.  Yep - I know that kind of stuff can be replicated on modern electric keyboards but it's just not the same.  There's a particular joy in bending for me - consistently nailing a bend just right is a surprising joy.

There's more of course but, you get the idea.

Take the beginner course.  Nail the mechanics.  Open that experience ear of yours.

Drink it up.

Rumble

edited