Practice structure?

Sean2525
Sean2525
12/08/2022 7:11 am

Hi all

I've just started on the Guitar Fundamentals Level 1 and am wondering if there is any lessons/truition on how to structure your practice at this stage? ie suggested length of time for practice on each lesson and how to structure practice to cover learning so far? Many thanks in advance.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/08/2022 2:01 pm

There are a couple of tutorials on practicing.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/1194

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial/1437

Here is my standard reply to the question. 

Any practice schedule has to consider your daily life schedule, current skill level & current learning topic.

This is a general list of how to approach learning & practicing.

1. Practice your guitar some every day.

2. Practice earlier rather than later, so you won't run out of time & then feel guilty about not getting in your daily practice. If this means getting up an hour eariler, then DO IT. This is always preferable to waiting until the end of a long, frazzled workday, then rushing through a tired, uninspired, frustrating practice session. And staying up an hour later to do it!

3. Start with something fun that you can already do. A song, a chord progression, a scale, a melody. Anything, but something you can already do that is FUN. Even if this is the only thing you do, or have time for, at least you played your guitar, got your fingers & mind moving musically & it was fun. :)

4. Eventually change to something that is problematic. Something new you are not good at yet. Scales, chord changes, memorizing notes, reading music notation. Spend time learning something new & challenging.

It is important to keep in mind that this is new stuff you aren't good at yet. Be patient with yourself. Remember that everyone has to climb the leaning curve. We all had to go through this difficult stage. Some people work faster, some slower, but everyone has to put it their time.

Try to enjoy it. :)

5. End with something fun that you can already do. Again, a song, a chord progression, a scale, a melody. Anything, but something you can already do that is FUN. This lets you end your practice session on a good, productive note. You can leave the guitar satisfied rather than frustrated. You will be encouraged about your skill & look forward to playing the next time or day.

You can do all this once a day or several times throughout the day with breaks in between. This list can be completed in 30 minutes or 8 hours.

Let me know if you have more questions. Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
12/08/2022 2:50 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Any practice schedule has to consider your daily life schedule, current skill level & current learning topic.

2. Practice earlier rather than later, so you won't run out of time & then feel guilty about not getting in your daily practice. If this means getting up an hour eariler, then DO IT. This is always preferable to waiting until the end of a long, frazzled workday, then rushing through a tired, uninspired, frustrating practice session. And staying up an hour later to do it!

3. Start with something fun that you can already do. A song, a chord progression, a scale, a melody. Anything, but something you can already do that is FUN. Even if this is the only thing you do, or have time for, at least you played your guitar, got your fingers & mind moving musically & it was fun. :)

4. Eventually change to something that is problematic. Something new you are not good at yet. Scales, chord changes, memorizing notes, reading music notation. Spend time learning something new & challenging.

It is important to keep in mind that this is new stuff you aren't good at yet. Be patient with yourself. Remember that everyone has to climb the leaning curve. We all had to go through this difficult stage. Some people work faster, some slower, but everyone has to put it their time.

5. End with something fun that you can already do. Again, a song, a chord progression, a scale, a melody. Anything, but something you can already do that is FUN. This lets you end your practice session on a good, productive note. You can leave the guitar satisfied rather than frustrated. You will be encouraged about your skill & look forward to playing the next time or day.

You can do all this once a day or several times throughout the day with breaks in between. This list can be completed in 30 minutes or 8 hours.

Wow Chris. Absolutely spot on.

# 3
Sean2525
Sean2525
12/09/2022 1:11 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Many thanks for this Chris. Those links are very useful and the rest of your advice makes complete sense. I'm playing everyday breaking it up into 15/20 minute chunks so I get to do some in the morning and then more later in the day. I find this way my fingers and wrist aren't being put under too much pressure from the get go and seem to be adapting nicely to the new demands placed on them. I look forward to enjoying your tutorials as I progress 👍

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/09/2022 2:58 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

Wow Chris. Absolutely spot on.

Thanks!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/09/2022 2:59 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: Sean2525

Many thanks for this Chris. Those links are very useful and the rest of your advice makes complete sense. I'm playing everyday breaking it up into 15/20 minute chunks so I get to do some in the morning and then more later in the day. I find this way my fingers and wrist aren't being put under too much pressure from the get go and seem to be adapting nicely to the new demands placed on them. I look forward to enjoying your tutorials as I progress 👍

You're welcome!  Sounds like you've got a good plan of action.  Enjoy the process!  

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
stekow1111
stekow1111
02/03/2023 4:29 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: Sean2525

Hi all

I've just started on the Guitar Fundamentals Level 1 and am wondering if there is any lessons/truition on how to structure your practice at this stage? ie suggested length of time for practice on each lesson and how to structure practice to cover learning so far? Many thanks in advance.

I might not acutualy practice on the guitar every day.  But I make it a point to be around learning it every day.  I might just watch tutorials on this or other sites or hang around the forums or even r

ride around to a couple of my favorite guitar shops.  

this helps me to not actaly feel guilty about not physicly practing with the guitar if I want to take a break for a day or two.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.