Eye in the Sky

billwann
billwann
12/05/2022 10:39 pm

Hi Mike,

I enjoyed your lesson on "Eye in the Sky." I'm trying to reproduce the tone you got on the electric guitar solos and can't quite get there. In lieu of a tube amp I am using Studio One by Presonus and one of their plug-ins called Ampire, which I guess is a modeling amp. Any advice on what settings I can use to get close to that tone you achieved in the solos? Thanks!

Bill Wann

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/07/2022 3:11 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: billwann

Hi Mike,

I enjoyed your lesson on "Eye in the Sky." I'm trying to reproduce the tone you got on the electric guitar solos and can't quite get there. In lieu of a tube amp I am using Studio One by Presonus and one of their plug-ins called Ampire, which I guess is a modeling amp. Any advice on what settings I can use to get close to that tone you achieved in the solos? Thanks!

Bill Wann

Hi Bill - glad you enjoyed the lesson!

Yes the Ampire is a plug in for your computer that is an amp modeler. It can give you several amp and effect options.

I'd start out with the Marshall 800 model (I think it's called the MCM 800).  The default setting might be close already.  You'll want to experiment with the Gain (or Drive) control on the amp to acheive the desired amount of crunch.

On that song, I set the amp gain a bit on the lower side, and then added a Tube Screamer effect pedal before the amp. This effect emphasizes the mid frequencies that push the guitar forward in the mix.

Don't be afraid to twist all the knobs all around to hear what it does to the sound - this is how we learn to get this stuff sounding good!

I hope this helps - let me know how it goes!  Happy tweaking!

Mike

edited

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
billwann
billwann
12/07/2022 7:29 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: Mike Olekshy

Hi Bill - glad you enjoyed the lesson!

Yes the Ampire is a plug in for your computer that is an amp modeler. It can give you several amp and effect options.

I'd start out with the Marshall 800 model (I think it's called the MCM 800).  The default setting might be close already.  You'll want to experiment with the Gain (or Drive) control on the amp to acheive the desired amount of crunch.

On that song, I set the amp gain a bit on the lower side, and then added a Tube Screamer effect pedal before the amp. This effect emphasizes the mid frequencies that push the guitar forward in the mix.

Don't be afraid to twist all the knobs all around to hear what it does to the sound - this is how we learn to get this stuff sounding good!

I hope this helps - let me know how it goes!  Happy tweaking!

Mike

Mike, 

I really appreciate that. I think that's gonna help!

Bill

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.