Am I a bad candidate for guitar lessons?

rtobol
rtobol
11/26/2022 6:48 pm

Hi All,

I'm totally new here. Before i start into any lessons, I have a question for the community. The last online guitar lessons I took were from The Guitar System (Guitareo). I expressed an issue that i was having with my hands to the guy that ran the site. I discovered that he didn't have a whole lot of empathy for someone with a bit of a physical limitation to playing guitar. He simply said, "Well, I guess the guitar isn't for you". That was deflating to read.  So, the issue:

On both of my hands, both my index finger and pinky finger turn inwards when I put them in the position of holding and playing a guitar. I hope that makes sense. It's weird, i know. So, the chords that require me to spread my fingers far apart seem to be a real problem. Is there any way I can still learn to play the guitar even though I have to avoid certain chords? I'd like to get everyone's opinion. Thank you very much for your time.

# 1
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
11/26/2022 7:36 pm

Look into open tunings and bottle neck guitar.  Those styles may be a lot more accessable to your limitations.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/26/2022 7:39 pm

I don't know how bad your hands are, but we all have limitations. Some self imposed, some physical. We all need to sort out what we want and what can realistically be accomplished.   

I have been here for 3 years, took the Fundamental courses. But really I am here to learn songs. I can't play all the songs the way they are taught, but I figure it out. All I need to know is what chords are being played and when. And then find an easy way to play the chord - usually a power chord (2 fingers). Something you will learn is that there are various voicings for chords. They sound a bit different from each other, some are fuller and brighter but in essence a C is a C is a C. And IF you are just looking to jam to your favorite songs with other people or to a jam track, an important thing you will learn is that the drummer and the bass player really carry the tune. So just stay in step with the bass player and nobody cares. Unless you are in a recording studio or gigging for money. Then its different and you really need to be pretty good. But if like me, you just want to play songs and enjoy yourself and have no pressure as to how good you have to be... you can learn guitar.

So its dissapointing that your teacher didn't address what appears to be a physical limitation and say "hey, all is not lost, we just need to find work arounds that will get you playing."

Good luck.

Edit: again I don't know your situation, but for all of us, our hands change with practice. We gain dexterity, flexiblity and strength. So what you have today will not be what you have 3 years from now.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
rtobol
rtobol
11/26/2022 7:59 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: William MG

I don't know how bad your hands are, but we all have limitations. Some self imposed, some physical. We all need to sort out what we want and what can realistically be accomplished.   

I have been here for 3 years, took the Fundamental courses. But really I am here to learn songs. I can't play all the songs the way they are taught, but I figure it out. All I need to know is what chords are being played and when. And then find an easy way to play the chord - usually a power chord (2 fingers). Something you will learn is that there are various voicings for chords. They sound a bit different from each other, some are fuller and brighter but in essence a C is a C is a C. And IF you are just looking to jam to your favorite songs with other people or to a jam track, an important thing you will learn is that the drummer and the bass player really carry the tune. So just stay in step with the bass player and nobody cares. Unless you are in a recording studio or gigging for money. Then its different and you really need to be pretty good. But if like me, you just want to play songs and enjoy yourself and have no pressure as to how good you have to be... you can learn guitar.

So its dissapointing that your teacher didn't address what appears to be a physical limitation and say "hey, all is not lost, we just need to find work arounds that will get you playing."

Good luck.

Edit: again I don't know your situation, but for all of us, our hands change with practice. We gain dexterity, flexiblity and strength. So what you have today will not be what you have 3 years from now.

Hi William,

That was a heck of a reply. Thanks for the positive words. You made total sense. I like your take on learning to play the guitar. It gives me hope that I can do this. So, I'm gonna follow your lead. Thank you, again.

# 4
rtobol
rtobol
11/26/2022 8:03 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: William MG

Good luck.

edited
# 5
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/26/2022 11:20 pm

Best of luck with it.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/28/2022 5:46 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: rtobol

Hi All,

I'm totally new here. Before i start into any lessons, I have a question for the community. The last online guitar lessons I took were from The Guitar System (Guitareo). I expressed an issue that i was having with my hands to the guy that ran the site. I discovered that he didn't have a whole lot of empathy for someone with a bit of a physical limitation to playing guitar. He simply said, "Well, I guess the guitar isn't for you". That was deflating to read.  So, the issue:

On both of my hands, both my index finger and pinky finger turn inwards when I put them in the position of holding and playing a guitar. I hope that makes sense. It's weird, i know. So, the chords that require me to spread my fingers far apart seem to be a real problem. Is there any way I can still learn to play the guitar even though I have to avoid certain chords? I'd like to get everyone's opinion. Thank you very much for your time.

I won't pretend tht I have the biggest hands. I don't. Pretty average sized if you ask me. Some of the amazing guitarists seem to have the really long fingers or something (not exactly true though). As was pointed out, everyone has something physical to overcome playing the guitar. It's important to know that so that you understand you're not the only person in that boat. One of the greatest skills needed to play guitar is perserverance. The ability to stick to it and overcome.

It always seems like it would be so easy to just strum out a few chords. For most people, at the outset, it's not. It's actually a bit awkward for most. You have to find out shere to put your fingers and strum all at the same time. Like juggling, one hand has to understand what the other is doing. Not something that comes right away. So, being diligent is useful.

To your specific issue;  keep in mind that your finger need only end up somewhere between the frets of your target position. For instance, you want fret the G note (low E sixth string, 3rd fret). Your finger can be anywhere between the actual (metal) 2nd and 3rd frets.

Why? The actual (metal) fret wire is where the note/sound comes from. All your finger is doing is 'telling' the guitar, 'Hey, when I press here, that note that comes from the 3rd (G) fret, will ring out. Som if your finger is right next to that 3rd (metal) fret or nearer the secong fret (for the big handed folks), it just doesn't matter. So long as you're holding down the string somewhere in between those frets.

For you and the challenge you mentioned, you may be fretting a barre chord and just need the distance between your index and pinky to be closer than most. So long as you can get your fingers somewhere between the targeted fret, you cool.

It still will take practice and there's always awkwardness but remove some of the pressure that often gets stuck in new players heads.

# 7
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
11/29/2022 4:59 pm

You might try an onlin lesson with one of the instructors here for some advice.

# 8
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
11/30/2022 4:41 pm

I guess first you have to give it a try.

you learn some simple one finger chords and melodies in GF1 with Lisa.

we're all bad in the first instance and improvement is slow for many of us. probably many more than will admit to it.

you will learn the scales and chord construction and as William has explained there are many ways to construct and play the chords. He has given power chords as his example but you will also learn about triads. One finger on each of three strings. Some shapes still a difficult stretch but others quite simple. 
They can either be easy in just being shown and learn the shapes which is what we all do in the first instance. To being more difficult in why these 3 notes on the strings make these chords and how you can keep those shapes all the way up the fretboard finding chords all the way up.

the usual example given would Django Rheinhart. Lost the use of 2 fingers and relearned how to play guitar to an expert and beyond level playing with his remaining 2 fingers. 

Give it a go , find what you can and can't do and find the work around needed.

good luck

Dave

# 9
Joanne07081
Full Access
Joanne07081
Full Access
12/13/2022 6:20 pm
#9 Originally Posted by: ddiddler

I guess first you have to give it a try.

you learn some simple one finger chords and melodies in GF1 with Lisa.

we're all bad in the first instance and improvement is slow for many of us. probably many more than will admit to it.

you will learn the scales and chord construction and as William has explained there are many ways to construct and play the chords. He has given power chords as his example but you will also learn about triads. One finger on each of three strings. Some shapes still a difficult stretch but others quite simple. 
They can either be easy in just being shown and learn the shapes which is what we all do in the first instance. To being more difficult in why these 3 notes on the strings make these chords and how you can keep those shapes all the way up the fretboard finding chords all the way up.

the usual example given would Django Rheinhart. Lost the use of 2 fingers and relearned how to play guitar to an expert and beyond level playing with his remaining 2 fingers. 

Give it a go , find what you can and can't do and find the work around needed.

good luck

Dave

Hi everyone

Everyone has given some great advice, but I especially like Dave's mention of Django Rheinhart. I just wanted to add that Django was also the inspiration for Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath. He had chopped off the end of his fingers on his fretting hand and was about to give up. An acquaintance gave him a copy of one of Django's records and it helped to inspire Tony to keep going. Not only did he overcome his injury, it helped him to create a whole new genre of rock music. 

I have issues with 2 fingers on my fretting hand, is it causing me issues? Yes it is but I don't want to give up. 

I wish you luck on your journey, I am sure you will be successful.

Joe

# 10
ilya.nvu
ilya.nvu
12/15/2022 8:04 pm

If you want to play different and some advanced music it definitely will be a problem. 

edited
# 11
innocci
innocci
04/13/2023 2:45 am
#1 Originally Posted by: rtobol

Hi All,

First of all, don't ever go back to that instructor for anything. I noticed some good advice from other players regarding your challenge, in response to your question. I don't know what your physical challenges are, although overcoming them to become a good guitar player depends on how strong  your desire is. I saw a young man with no arms play the guitar for the pope, using his toes, very inspirational.

# 12
croverwnor.ene8
croverwnor.ene8
04/13/2023 8:26 am

Thanks for the information..   

# 13
alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
04/13/2023 10:38 pm

Look up a biography of Django Reinhardt. Then look at some footage of Django playing jazz. Not everyone is going to be able to do what he did, but it should serve as some inspiration for those struggling with what they feel are physical limitations.

# 14
Paul.R.Harker
Paul.R.Harker
04/24/2023 2:39 pm

Since Django has already been mentioned, I want to add that I am 64 years old and have a connective tissue disorder that affects my hands. There are some things I just might never be able to do, and sometimes simplifications need be made. That said, I see working on and learning the guitar to be the best physical therapy my hands could get at any price. 

# 15
gallwa.singeborg
gallwa.singeborg
05/19/2023 11:48 am

Thanks to this article I can learn more. Expand my knowledge and abilities. Actually the article is very real.

# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.