Stevie Ray Vaughan Artist Study

paulcavaliere
Full Access
paulcavaliere
Full Access
11/14/2022 3:00 pm

Hi Dave, I'm working my way through the lessons on SRV Artist Study and having lots of fun.

A couple of questions:

1. Is the series a breakdown of Pride and Joy?  I've requested Pride and Joy (along with Lenny and others from SRV) in the Song Request section.  Is more SRV on the radar for Songs?

2. I've got up to learning the Pentatonic Licks Stevie Ray Vaughan Artist Study : Pentatonic Licks: Performance (guitartricks.com)  I'm taking my time to understand the theory and scale patterns.  What really helped me connect the pentatonic scale to music was exploring the Albert King box with Gary Heimbauer's online lesson and playing some licks using it and going up and down the A minor scale.  Can you recommend a way for me to further connect scales to music to really help me to put scales to practical use.  Right now, I'm playing the scales straight up and down with a metronome. Focusing on Major, Minor and Pentatonic Major and Minor in all 5 patterns.

For background, I've completed courses up to Acoustic 2 and Rock 2 and Christopher's Blues Rythm & Lead, and Bread & Butter Blues Licks.  Haven't taken the Blues 1&2 courses yet.  

# 1
paulcavaliere
Full Access
paulcavaliere
Full Access
11/18/2022 6:22 pm

Hi Dave,

As a follow up, I can play the pentatonic lick at .75 speed (still not clean every time).  I've been practicing it everyday for over a week but can't play it up to speed.  Any suggestions to get it clean at .75 and finally up to speed.  Is it just perservarance?  

# 2
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dave Celentano
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/19/2022 3:10 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: paulcavaliere

Hi Dave, I'm working my way through the lessons on SRV Artist Study and having lots of fun.

A couple of questions:

1. Is the series a breakdown of Pride and Joy?  I've requested Pride and Joy (along with Lenny and others from SRV) in the Song Request section.  Is more SRV on the radar for Songs?

2. I've got up to learning the Pentatonic Licks Stevie Ray Vaughan Artist Study : Pentatonic Licks: Performance (guitartricks.com)  I'm taking my time to understand the theory and scale patterns.  What really helped me connect the pentatonic scale to music was exploring the Albert King box with Gary Heimbauer's online lesson and playing some licks using it and going up and down the A minor scale.  Can you recommend a way for me to further connect scales to music to really help me to put scales to practical use.  Right now, I'm playing the scales straight up and down with a metronome. Focusing on Major, Minor and Pentatonic Major and Minor in all 5 patterns.

For background, I've completed courses up to Acoustic 2 and Rock 2 and Christopher's Blues Rythm & Lead, and Bread & Butter Blues Licks.  Haven't taken the Blues 1&2 courses yet.  

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the late reply. The SRV Artist Study I did is not a breakdown of Pride and Joy. The first two lessons in this Artist Study are based on Pride and Joy, but not exactly the song. I'm not sure if Guitar Tricks has any mor SRV in the pipeline, but there are seven SRV tunes currently on the site (check out this search link from the Guitar Tricks site): https://www.guitartricks.com/search?query=Stevie+Ray+Vaughan

As for learning how to connect the scales to solos I recommend learning a solo(s) from SRV and then analyze it to see which scale patterns he used. For instance, this solo example from my SRV Artist Study is in E and plays mostly E minor pentatonic with a hint of major pentatonic: https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/27290

Helping answer your question in text form is okay, but where I can really help and assess your playing is in a live 1 on 1 lesson with me. You have great questions and I can definitely help you out. Here's a link to my live 1 on 1 guitar coaching to schedule a lesson if you are interested in taking your playing to the next level: https://guitartricks.as.me/schedule.php?calendarID=1274409

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.