View post (New Member, Never picked up a Guitar, 47 and not afraid!)

View thread

Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
11/15/2022 12:02 am
#1 Originally Posted by: dynamicsocialm

Hi there everyone, I'm 47 years old, and I have never done formal music in my life before; I was a classically trained ballet dancer (once upon a time) so music is kin even though I have no idea what those dots on the sheet mean (yet). 

I have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument; I like the challenge, the technical and academic aspects, and creative beauty of it. 

I'm not afraid of learning something new; I'm not afraid of making a ton of mistakes to get to a place where I can make pretty sounds with this instrument. 

I bought a second-hand simple classical guitar from the pawn shop, and managed to tune it to sound reasonable; then I did the first free lesson here and you know what? I didn't suck. I managed to get a pretty decent sound out. I'm so pleased!

Thank you; see you on the boards.... 

We love to hear how excited you are, and thanks for sharing your story! We have a lot of students learning music for the first time, so know that you are in good company. I am sure you will find your way in no time! Having a sense of rhythm as a dancer will certainly help you along the way. It sounds like you are off to a great start.

The forum is an excellent tool to connect with other beginners, and more experienced players to help  you stay motivated. If you ever have any issues or questions about the site, the admin team is here to help. Our instructors are awesome and can help you with any music related questions you may have. 

Have fun, and enjoy the process! šŸ¤˜

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.