40 years is too long!

limadelta
Full Access
limadelta
Full Access
11/07/2022 2:36 am

Hi all, 

I played guitar a bunch in high school -- folk groups, a harmonizing trio, jazz band.  I'm self taught (small town in Northern MN, near Dylan, LOL).  Strengths are theory (arranged a bunch of a capella, my other musical hobby), rhythm, musicality.  Weaknesses are -- playing the guitar!  I've got small hands and struggle with the friggen B and other stretces.  Was a servicable folk group guy, and some finger-style on Simon & Garfunkel, Crosby-Stills-Nash, Peter Paul & Mary, a bit of James Taylor, etc., but honestly, I was never trained and was always making stuff up.  I used my head to invent extended chords for jazz band without ever checking how most people played the specified chords.  Pretty sure there were easier ways!

My daughter stole my old Sigma, and I've got more dough now, so I bought a really nice Taylor 818e.  Sounds sooo good, if I could only do it justice.  I've been taking Anders' course (which I think is phenomenal, wish I had it when I was 15 instead of 60), and look forward to learning from y'all.

Happy music making,

Dan

# 1
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
11/07/2022 2:17 pm

Welcome.  You're in the right place for sure.

# 2
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
11/08/2022 12:29 am
#1 Originally Posted by: limadelta

Hi all, 

I played guitar a bunch in high school -- folk groups, a harmonizing trio, jazz band.  I'm self taught (small town in Northern MN, near Dylan, LOL).  Strengths are theory (arranged a bunch of a capella, my other musical hobby), rhythm, musicality.  Weaknesses are -- playing the guitar!  I've got small hands and struggle with the friggen B and other stretces.  Was a servicable folk group guy, and some finger-style on Simon & Garfunkel, Crosby-Stills-Nash, Peter Paul & Mary, a bit of James Taylor, etc., but honestly, I was never trained and was always making stuff up.  I used my head to invent extended chords for jazz band without ever checking how most people played the specified chords.  Pretty sure there were easier ways!

My daughter stole my old Sigma, and I've got more dough now, so I bought a really nice Taylor 818e.  Sounds sooo good, if I could only do it justice.  I've been taking Anders' course (which I think is phenomenal, wish I had it when I was 15 instead of 60), and look forward to learning from y'all.

Happy music making,

Dan

Hey Dan, 

Thank you for sharing your story, we are always happy to know more about our users. We hope that the forum, instructors, and lessons act as an encouraging team to help you pick up the guitar again, and stick with it! Have fun, and let us know if we can assist with anything. 

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.