3rd year student, just now posting on Forum

stevesteakley
Full Access
stevesteakley
Full Access
11/01/2022 4:01 pm

I'm now 71 and into my third year with GuitarTricks. I played in my twenties but family life and work left the guitar in the closet. I saved my music books always thinking I would restart. When I did restart 3 years ago I realized I would need some help. I researched online lessons and GuitarTricks keep showing up on the top 3 so I joined. I completed the Fundamentals course with Lisa Mcormick. Since I am retired public school teacher, I appreciated her teaching skills with a well defined curriculum and teaching meathodology. She filled in all the gaps I had in my twenties! I then chose Ander Mouridsen's Blues I & II course. Anders does not have the same traditional teaching meathods as Lisa but he has his own unique approach that consistently challenges you to stay at it and play it "your way " His passion runs throughout all his lessons. Then I needed more, I was still missing a link, I took Chris Schlegel's Blues Orchestration series. The missing link! Chris takes a structured repetitive approach that builds into a complete composition. After this I decided to go back to the beginning and pull out the summary lessons from each lesson series and create a tune my way. I learned how to record these tunes as I went along using a Focusrite audio interface and the accompanying Abelton Lite 11 software. Relearning the lessons and recording the results provided a whole new level of learning curve. I now have 29 tracks recorded. The recordings show my progression as a amateur guitarist throughout my last 3 years. I posted my work on SoundCloud.com for family and friends. My current comfort zone is 99-100 BPM. Don't think my 70+ yr old brain and playing technique will get to my awesome instructors level but Hey, I play it my way,

Just search my name at SoundCloud.com "Steve Steakley" to hear my tunes and Happy playing to all! 

Steve Steakley

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/01/2022 7:08 pm

Nice write up Steve. 100bpm sounds just about my speed as well! 

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/02/2022 7:32 pm

Great post.  Thanks for the positive feedback.  I'm glad you're enjoying GT & making progress with your guitar learning & playing.  Your SoundCloud page is an outstanding way of documenting your progress.  And it's wonderful to have a body of work to show for your efforts.

Well done!  Keep playing!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
11/03/2022 2:04 am

Awesome Steve!  What a great idea.

# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/29/2023 2:56 pm

Awesome story! So glad I was able to be of help!

And I love how you pieced together your own best custom learning-plan, but studying with a variety of teachers.

That is a great way to go.

Have fun!!! -Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.